Beer Wars: The Movie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer Wars: The story of young Malt HopWalker battling to save the galaxies beer palate against the BMC Empire's evil leader, Barf Maker. :ban:

I'm just pissed that there are only two screens in WI showing it, and they're each 2+ hours away. That's ridiculous!

Dubuque is a little under 2 hours away from Madison and they're showing it.

That's like saying 6 inches versus half foot. The showing is at 7pm central, and I work until 5:30. So that doesn't work for me either. I really hope they do distribute more widely soon, or at least to DVD.
BREW NEWS

Got tickets for my girlfriend and me the other day. The whole Charlotte Beer Club is going to see it with pre and post get togethers at The Flying Saucer. I may be taking the next day off from work :mug:

Ugh, Ben Stein is such a tool. I'll wait till I can watch the movie without him. :p

I agree regarding Ben Stein's tooldom. Note to future filmmakers- If you want to make a reputable documentary, don't let that stupid turd anywhere near it.

I don't find Ben Stein to be all that repulsive. I mean, I'm sure he has his own opinion on certain things, but he's smart man and writes for many, many different publishings, mostly on economics.

I mean, he's no Tom Cruise, but...

I just purchased tickets to it for next Thursday. $16, for that price the little punk with the flashlight better not ask me to throw away my beer while watching it.

I don't really know or care how eloquently he writes about economics. Take a look into his documentary filmmaking history. I don't want to hijack this thread with Ben Stein's *****ebaggery but the producers of Beer Wars would have been wise to keep his ignorant arse as far away from this project as possible. IMHO.

I don't really know or care how eloquently he writes about economics. Take a look into his documentary filmmaking history. I don't want to hijack this thread with Ben Stein's *****ebaggery but the producers of Beer Wars would have been wise to keep his ignorant arse as far away from this project as possible. IMHO.

I wasn't aware that he made that many documentries. I only seem to see him talking about economics.

He made one last year called "Expelled: No intelligence allowed" - attacking the teaching of evolution in our science classes. As a scientist, that really hacks me off. Now, I'll admit that maybe I'm being slightly irrational, but IMO anything that guy touches turns to crap. But that's just me. It actually does look like a fairly entertaining film.

It's common practice to pre-release films to critics so that they have time to write timely reviews. With this being a self-distributed film, perhaps there are specific reasons why this hasn't happened.

It's also common practice to withhold a dog-of-a-movie from pre-release so that the bad reviews don't kill off your opening week. Again, with this being a self-distributed film, there may be other reasons.

Just a reminder, this is coming up this Thursday. I'm going to try to make it.

It's expensive because it's a one off, live broadcast of the movie followed by the panel discussion. That should be interesting because, even though the panel members are in the movie, they'll be watching it for the first time along with the rest of us.

The director tried to get the new heads of AB InBev and MillerCoors on the panel, but neither agreed to appear.

The movie distributor - Fathom - is the same company that does live broadcasts to theaters of operas from the Met and will be doing a live broadcast of This American Life next week. The operas and TAL are $20 tickets so this is even sort of a discount. It seems like a good opportunity if only for the unscripted reactions to the film from those involved. I wonder if the panel discussion will make it to the DVD.

The explanation for Ben Stein was 'we needed a celebrity moderator, so we went down a list until one said yes.' I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

And olllllo, common practice or not, it seems weird to say 'and they wouldn't give me a copy of the movie!' Even say 'they wouldn't let me see the movie'; that'd sound less whiny...

The explanation for Ben Stein was 'we needed a celebrity moderator, so we went down a list until one said yes.' I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

And olllllo, common practice or not, it seems weird to say 'and they wouldn't give me a copy of the movie!' Even say 'they wouldn't let me see the movie'; that'd sound less whiny...

Oh no doubt, Sigafoos, but isn't most internet blogging whiney? ;)

BTW: More dissent worth considering.... and yes I am going.

The Mad Fermentationist: Beer Wars: Brewed in America (Rant)

I am going to make my own Beer Wars movie that will be much better than this massed produced, watered down movie. :mug:

I'm in for tomorrow night. Playing at a theater less than a mile down the street. Nice.

He made one last year called "Expelled: No intelligence allowed" - attacking the teaching of evolution in our science classes. As a scientist, that really hacks me off. Now, I'll admit that maybe I'm being slightly irrational, but IMO anything that guy touches turns to crap. But that's just me. It actually does look like a fairly entertaining film.

Oh yeah I remember that one. I never seen it but judging by the previews it looked exactly the way you are describing it. Honestly I never understood the controversy against evolution. In fact most people seem to believe it has long as you use words like "adaption" and "survival of the fittest", it's just that "E word" that people seem to have an allergic reaction to.

Still I don't think it matters someone can be a genius on certain subjects and completely ignorant on others, and economics unlike science is one the subjects that Ben Stein understands very well.

So here I am sitting alone in a movie theater about to watch beer wars. I feel like a damn fool!!!! I will let you all know how it was.

Oh man, too funny. I wonder if anyone outside this forum has even heard of it?

that's what happens when dont promote well and only allow select viewings at theaters few and far between. they should put it ont on dvd if they want to make any real money.

Well, it ended up being 5 of us total! So lots of room to relax. I enjoyed the movie and the after discussion. I do hate Ben Stein!

I thought the movie was great. It definetly makes you not want to buy an BMC ever again. great to see Sam from dogfish and the man Charlie P himself

There were prolly about 50 people in the theatre I was at...

SWMBO got me tickets as a surprise...

Guess I owe her an above average time of sweet, sweet loving....

(I'll be back in a few minutes....)

Back