Beer up into blowoff tube and into bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyplank

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a holiday-ish brew going with some nice yeast currently making sweet, sweet love to a bit of yeast nutrient. Just by looking at the color of the bucket that my blowoff tube is leading to, it looks like a little bit of beer may have gone up my blowoff tube and into my sanitized water bucket. Is this a bad thing? Do I need to replace the blowoff bucket with new sanitized water?
Thanks in advance!

Completely normal. Wait until the fermentation is done blowing foam out the tube then you can replace the water.

Happened on my last batch. I waited till it slowed down then replaced it with an airlock.

Normal. As posted above, wait until fermentation settles before replacing with a sanitized liquid. You don't need a lot of liquid, btw - just enough to keep the hose submerged. If you're going to cold crash, it's better to switch to an air-lock with a small amount of vodka, and cold crash gradually.

Excellent, that's what I thought, but I knew you guys would help me make sure.
Thanks much and many cheers!

Also, pat yourself on the back because if you have that much blow off, you likely avoided a big mess by using the blow off tube.

Also, pat yourself on the back because if you have that much blow off, you likely avoided a big mess by using the blow off tube.

Oh yes, it started after about eight hours in the fermentor, and it's a constant rumbling in the bucket right now at about 20 hours. Should be nice and healthy.

Back