Beer tools numbers accurate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bv805

Reaction score
So I just purchased Beer tools pro and im having a little bit of confusion based on the numbers its given me on my newest recipe. I order all my recipes from brewmasters warehouse, wich I called them and asked how accurate the numbers they give on there website are and they told me they are dead on.well my problem is that according to the brew builder(Brewmasterswarehouse)
1.076 OG, 1.019 FG, 75 IBU, 8.33 SRM, 7.47 ABV....all good this is what i want

but when I type it into Beertools here is what i get
1.071 OG, 1.018 FG, 107.4 IBU 11 SRM, 7.04 ABV

The efficiency is set the same batch size is set the same, Alpha acids are same
Why is there such a difference, I guess my problem is i dont know wich one to trust
Any thoughts?

You can trust either one about the same. There are many different ways to estimate IBUs and color, and the softwares probably use different ones. They might also use numbers from different maltsters - Munich malt, for example, can range from 7L all the way up to nearly 20L, depending on the source. That might also account for the difference in OG estimates.

What you need to do is customize BeerTools to your system until you are satisfied with the numbers it provides. Pick a bitterness and (if it gives you an option) color formula that seems to give you the most realistic results, then stick with it. Try to be as specific as possible when building the recipes; i.e. rather than just selecting a generic "2-row", choose "Rahr 2-Row Pale" (if that's part of the database). If it's not part of the database, try to get that information from the maltster and add it yourself.

What IBU scale is being used in either your HBS or Beer Tools?

I've been using BTP for a few years now and I find the SRM to be fairly accurate as wells as my OG and FG

Thanks guys for the quick response...I guess the IBUs is whats really making me confused. The OG and Fg are close enough. And yes i do use The specific grains in the database. would boiloff rate and mash temp/length change the ibu values?
thanks

Maybe this will help here is my recipe. its supposed to be in between DFH 90 and 60 min Clone

5.5 Gallon Batch
Efficiency
79%

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess Pale Ale Malt
13 lbs, 13 oz
Crisp Amber
0 lbs, 7 oz
Warrior Pellets
.39 oz @ 75 mins
Warrior Pellets
.39 oz @ 65 mins
Warrior Pellets
.39 oz @ 55 mins
Warrior Pellets
.39 oz @ 45 mins
Simcoe Whole Leaf
.39 oz @ 35 mins
Palisades Pellets
.39 oz @ 25 mins
Palisades Pellets
.39 oz @ 15 mins
Palisades Pellets
.39 oz @ 0 mins
Amarillo Pellets
.69 oz @ Dry
Simcoe Whole Leaf
.69 oz @ Dry
Glacier Pellets
.69 oz @ Dry
Wyeast Labs Pacman
1 ea
75 min boil

Are you sure you don't have a typo in BTP in regards to the hops? That's a big jump.
nope i double checked. Im just wondering if the 75 minute boil is throwing brewmasters warehouse calculater off... oh well im just gonna stick with beertools pro numbers and downsize the hops

Keep in mind that most programs will calculate hops well past a 100 IBU's but it is widely believed that 100 IBU's is about the maximum utilization possible. Tinseth scale takes into account the grain bill where as the default scale does not in BTP.

Download this episode if you have some time, there is some really good info regard hop utilization in it. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/588

Back