Beer to go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb40bball

Reaction score
I use a kegging system and just did a summer blonde. It turned out awesome and I was thinking of taking it on vacation. We are traveling from Illinois to Outer Banks North Carolina. The beer would go from cold to warm for probably 30-36 hours and travel in a car. I currently use 2 liter bottles with carbonator caps. Will the beer be ruined when I hit the beach?

My concern is the beer being kept cold and then allowed to warm up for an extended period of time

If you are not transporting kegs, just the bottles. Keep them in a cooler and change the ice as needed problem solved?

So....keep the beer cold for 36 hours enroute?
Doesn't seem like anything heroic would be needed - unless you're mailing yourself there...

Cheers! ;)

A temperature fluctuation like that isn't going to affect your beer. Now if you wanted to store it for a extended period of time it may not be the best for it but other then that rdwhahb. :mug:

Ruined? No unless you have no AC and are transporting it at temperatures above comfortable driving temperature. Then it might get some off-flavors working, but typically unrefridgerated growlers are just going to go flat in a shaky car, and in my experience pretty quickly when more than 20-30 minutes to fridge.

I've not used or tested carb caps to know how much they may combat this, but you will not have to worry about it if you keep them on ice in a cooler.

I have a tap a draft system that use 1.5 gal bottles. I brought two down to VA(From MA) last year to drink with my friends. Just put them in a cooler with ice. Even stopped at a hotel on the way down for the night. Opened the cooler before setting out, and it didn't look like any ice had melted. Made it there, and only had to add a little ice a few days later for the ride to Ocean City MD. Worked out much better than the bottles I brought down the year before that started exploding.

Long story short. Toss them in a cooler with ice, you will be fine.

Back