Beer tastes if glue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmetheus

Reaction score
Single malt two row APA dry hopped during day five of fermentation. Seemed stall, then start smells like bread then turns sour, and tastes of glue after 12 days on the cake. Temp controlled at 18 degrees celsius.

Should I dump?

Tenth brew and never had anything like this. I think its bacterial/wild yeast.

Many will say never to dump a beer without aging it to see if it gets better. Even if infected you can sometimes get a good sour.

Glue is not a description I have heard.

I haven't had a really bad tasting one, yet. But I often find a beer will change fairly dramatically between bottling day and when fully conditioned.

If it is infected be careful with your final gravity measurements, some contaminates can ferment a beer much lower than yeast and you could end up with bottle bombs.

instead of glue, would you be able to describe it as solventy (like model glue)? At least, that's how I would guess it may smell.

Solventy can be a result of high temp fermentation and production of acetate esters. You can find all kinds of info on it by googling.

If it's like elmer's glue, then I would have no clue on the cause.

Hahaha that pale ale picture is hilarious!

I've never heard of a brew tasting like glue. I once bought the wrong caps for my bottles and the beer did not carbonate right. The batch tasted very stale, but tasted nothing like glue.

Elmer's Pale Ale would be a big hit. You could market it to millions of kindergartners.

Genius :mug:

hehehe thanks.

Honestly, it tasted a lot like hoegaarden from a dirty tap, which I hate regardless, dirty tap or no. So I think they beat me to the market some time ago. Originally the wort tasted of Grapefruit and citrus from some well applied Simcoe.

Dumped it, as I bottle still, and only have so many free to use, and didn't want tie them up.

Noticed the yeast smelled the way it tasted once I got to dumping the turb. Probably a wild yeast infection.... or my roomy dumped in some bread yeast as joke on me.

Originally two batches I combined. He may have messed with smaller one gallon batch to f@&k with me. Looked pretty contrite, as no free beer, and told me I shouldn't have combined them. So there's that variable too.

Roommates messing with your hobby that takes weeks to complete, how funny:( I think that is the most likely scenario for such a strange off flavor. There's a particular gluey substance I'm sure a jackass would think was really hilarious. Maybe you should have bottled a few and let him be the first to taste it.

Ya should have done something like that.

Duno what he did, hopefully not what your suggesting, but he's the type to get jealous of the accomplishments of others. I could be paranoid, but life's been full of people doing stuff like this and it's his MO. Could have been bleach maybe?

Just have to live with the fact that the world is full of people who celebrate our failures rather than successes.

I never had a collage work hard at school and party hard experience. I told my wife today that she is the best roommate I could have. I know she'd never mess with my beer in a negative way. Who knows maybe he didn't do anything, by nature I'm a paranoid person, so you shouldn't jump to conclusions based on what I have to say. Keep on rocking. You'll be in a big house with a nice garage before know it. Brew on!!!

I would say doubtful someone would **** with your beer. If you seriously suspect that I would address the roommate.

Non filtered water will likely have some chlorine in it which can contribute to that flavor.

If the batch seemed to stall the yeast population/health may not have been in a good spot which causes stress and unwanted esters/phenols. It would also make the beer susceptible to an infection if you are removing the airlock/lid often.

It happens! Good luck on next batch, and also use a starter or pitch 2 packs of yeast and dont open fermentor until the batch is complete ~2 weeks unless you need to dryhop. This alone will be a great improvement to your quality across the board if you don't practice it already.

Back