Beer T.V.Show "Rules of engagement" Gives bad image of homebrewers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCCOLA

Reaction score
Watched this show last night and the main macho character tries to get out of going to a party b/c one of the people coming is bringing his"bathtub homebrewed beer" followed by references to "ass beer"and "hair in my beer"and"This guy doesn't think the major brewing companies know how to do it right?"They top it off by the 2'ndary character saying"You've gotta come,now he's putting fruit in his beer--He's bringing a raspberry beer"
When will the ignorance end?I think most people would be shocked if they knew the extremes we went to in order to provide sanitary conditions for our beermaking.

I saw it too. It's "Rules of Engagement" though, not "Mad About You".

I always have liked Patrick Warburton since he was on Seinfeld. However the writing is weak on this new show of his.

....and his character doesn't like homebrew....

Let it go. Ignorance is bliss. This is an old stereotype and matches the writing quality of the rest of the show. I remember when Mr. Roper brewed his own on Three's Company.

Jack: "What's that stuff floating around in there?"
Mr Roper: "Those are Hops."
Jack: "Ok, what are those things hopping around in there?"

Oh dear, I have this on the DVR. I'll be sure to have one or two in me so I don't tense up. Then again, I wonder if people say that about me before I show up places...

I think this image is why Grahm Sanders (of Craftbrewer Radio out of Austrailia) pushes for people like us to go by "Craft Brewer". Homebrew gives the connotation of prohibition hooch.

Yeah, but I'm not. The guys at Sierra Nevada, Southern Tier, etc: those are craft brewers. I'm halfway between bathtub and craft.

I was pissed off watching that too. I watch it for David Spade. Warburton's character hit on the bathtub gin, aka hootchmaking stereotype. He later called it ass beer. Disappointed with the ignorance.

*Sigh*

This kind of ignorance makes me very sad, but I'll gladly allow the rest of America to drink their Coors and Bud and I'll keep all my yummy homebrew to myself and my friends.

I'm thinking a bath tub would make a great open fermenter for a classic Belgian Lambic. Think of all the great things floating around in your bathroom and what they could do for a beer.

Wow... What a scam!

Let's write an episode about how crappy homebrewed beer is and we will get a load of people sending us really good homebrewed beer to show that not all homebrewed beer tastes like Satan's Anus...

I want in on this one...

I think it's more of a perceived slight, I get a lot of "oohhh you're that guy" at work, closely followed by "when can I come over and try some?" I'm having to change some of my preconceptions, when someone talks about liking beer, I assume they're part of the BMC crowd. Lately when I ask people what type of beer they like, I'm getting some pretty surprising answers. Craftbrew really seems to be taking off.

Reposted from Twitter: I give you the new sitcom point man for Craft Beer.

0323091940-feed.jpg

Ladykiller Ale and Alexander's Famous

Well, not all homebrewers are privileged enough to have a great resource like HBT. I assume that there are still plenty of ignorant brewers who have not seen the light. This is why we must carry the light for our lost brewtheren and lift them up from the trub of society and into the secondary of enlightenment!

Let it go. Ignorance is bliss. This is an old stereotype and matches the writing quality of the rest of the show. I remember when Mr. Roper brewed his own on Three's Company.

Jack: "What's that stuff floating around in there?"
Mr Roper: "Those are Hops."
Jack: "Ok, what are those things hopping around in there?"

That is an awesome joke!!! :D

I saw the show and thought it was funny, didn't offend me. So what if they wrote his character not liking homebrew, it had to be one or the other. I think it was more of a thing about drinking something someone made themselves and not being comfortable with his/her cleanliness or the individual. I think that was part of the joke too. I am picky too about that stuff
Those hours between 8-10 every Monday night are my favorite. Nice light comedy to help me relax after a Monday at work.

Come to think of it I thought the mention was cool. I mean the idea was there needed to be a party they didn't want to go to so the writers picked home brewing. Could have been a pool volleyball party instead. Just poking some fun at people who brew at home. It is just a comedy.

I agree with you jgln... not offended at all by what I see on television, whether it is a hobby/obsession close to my heart. "Pale ale filtered through a hair drain" i thought was pretty funnyl Yes I think I make pretty good beer (as good as half the stuff on the shelves), but my first batch was terrible, and I'm sure some people don't get better.

Either they continue with the garbage, whether its process or ingredients, or they give up.

Or they log on here, and really begin to make beer.... :)

I might even go one step further and say the writers probably know there are good home brewers and good homemade beers. I think they were making fun of the perception of home brewers by most people. Simply saying he didn't like home brewing wouldn't have been funny at all.

I watched this last night too. Fact of the matter is, most people *DO* think that homebrew is made in bathtubs and that beer should be left to AB. Let them think that... that leave more good beer for the rest of us.

I wasn't offended by it at all. I was laughing my ass off. Ignorance aside, it was funny. I'm sure that someone somewhere has said the same thing about my beers before trying them, and possibly even after trying them. :D

"Oh great, raspberry ass beer!". That line had me laughing so hard I almost fell out of bed.

Those hours between 8-10 every Monday night are my favorite. Nice light comedy to help me relax after a Monday at work.

I agree with you there -

House, 2 1/2 Men, Rules of Engagement.

Too bad all the decent shows are on one night though!

Warburton's character is definitely the best thing about the show, IMO. I wouldn't say I was particularly offended. Did lead to some funny lines. His delivery is always so weird / unique that damn near everything he does is funny.

95% of homebrew pushed off on friends probably is raspberry ass beer.

Consider:
  • The sheer number of Mr. Beers received as gifts each Christmas.
  • Probably 90% (plus) of all homebrew being offered to friends is from a person’s first (and last) batch.
  • The vast majority of n00b brewers eager to share are probably serving green beer.
  • The vast majority of n00b brewers probably have never heard of BJCP guidelines and a raspberry ass beer sounds great.
  • Serious homebrewers are likely more diligent in refining their product before “taking it public”.

We (HBT'rs, Club Members, serious competitors...etc.) surround ourselves with quality homebrewers...but we are the minority.

Yes, the sad truth is that anyone can stop by Target tonight, pick up a Mr. Homebrew and brew up a batch of liquid bread before they go to bed tonight.

Sure as **** once it hits the glass, they’re going to want to take it to a party and POW…there goes the reputation of the serious homebrew craft.

I agree with you there -

House, 2 1/2 Men, Rules of Engagement.

Too bad all the decent shows are on one night though!

Warburton's character is definitely the best thing about the show, IMO. I wouldn't say I was particularly offended. Did lead to some funny lines. His delivery is always so weird / unique that damn near everything he does is funny.

Sorry but I think Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are funny enough to stay on the same channel. That is what I meant by 8-10. I love Barney's character. He has one of those motivational posters above his desk, "Awsomeness". I am glad they replaced that other show (although a bit funny) with Rules of Engagement. I look forward to Monday nights now as much as I did Thursday nights when Seinfeld was on.

Warburton's character hit on the bathtub gin, aka hootchmaking stereotype. He later called it ass beer. Disappointed with the ignorance.

Brock Samson says "Don't disrespect Warburton. I have a license to kill and like to use it."

:D

(Warburton does the voice for Samson, who is my avatar)

Sorry but I think Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are funny enough to stay on the same channel. That is what I meant by 8-10. I love Barney's character. He has one of those motivational posters above his desk, "Awsomeness". I am glad they replaced that other show (although a bit funny) with Rules of Engagement. I look forward to Monday nights now as much as I did Thursday nights when Seinfeld was on.

I know what you are saying Sundays and Mondays are the only nights I watch tv, unless a good game is on. I love How I Met Your Mother. That is by far my favorite on there. Barney's video resume was complete greatness. I have not watched the rules of engagement, but I agree they are probably poking fun at the beliefs that people have of homebrew. I will watch it tonight though.

As I was leaving work today I mentioned that I would be brewing up a batch tonight and would be glad to take the late shift tomorrow...

Both of my coworkers said they watched the episode last night and thought of me when they were watching it.....:(

I just found a new show to catch up on. I hate working on Mondays. Glad to see they have been getting newer episodes online faster.

If you were offended or upset by this episode, go back to watching Star Trek and playing Dungeons and Dragon.:p

If you were offended or upset by this episode, go back to watching Star Trek and playing Dungeons and Dragon.:p

I did not watch it, and don't care for the show anyway, so I probably never will. (I was, however, offended just by reading about it!)

Some Star Trek is ok, but mostly it's a bit repetitive. Can't wait for the next movie!

AD&D rocks, but I never had enough time to play it much. I always saw it as a game, as opposed to Role-Playing. It's World of Warcraft now! :rockin:

Exactly what "good" name do we have?

That's just what I was thinking. We are hardly a protected class. It sounds like it was pretty funny, but I also realize that I may have to do a little more convincing. When it comes time to do so, I ask people if they think home cooking is such a bad idea, since there are so many restaurants out there, as well as all the prepared meals in stores. How many times has someone said "I can't believe my Grandmother keeps making her famous lasagna when we can just go down to Olive Garden? What, she doesn't think that the major food producers know how to do it right?" That usually brings a thoughtful "hmmmm."

I was also thinking about how much I miss the Drew Carey Show. I always wanted to try Buzz beer.

TL

That's just what I was thinking. We are hardly a protected class. It sounds like it was pretty funny, but I also realize that I may have to do a little more convincing. When it comes time to do so, I ask people if they think home cooking is such a bad idea, since there are so many restaurants out there, as well as all the prepared meals in stores. How many times has someone said "I can't believe my Grandmother keeps making her famous lasagna when we can just go down to Olive Garden? What, she doesn't think that the major food producers know how to do it right?" That usually brings a thoughtful "hmmmm."

I was also thinking about how much I miss the Drew Carey Show. I always wanted to try Buzz beer.

TL

Another great analogy.

I've never even heard of this show, but it sounds like it was probably funny since we're all offended by it. I'm a Star Trek/Dungeon's and Dragons fan myself, but I still think it's funny to make fun of geeks, whatever they geek out over.

I know what you are saying Sundays and Mondays are the only nights I watch tv, ...

Really? No one likes Wednesdays on NBC?? The Office, My Name is Earl, and 30 Rock? That's the ONLY time I watch Network TV!

Back to the real topic...I usually get two responses when I tell someone I brew my own beer. 1) Oh, that's cool! I want to try some! 2) What's the strongest you've ever made? Then I have to explain I dont brew for "strength" and then they aren't as interested anymore...

Back