Beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
I have been wondering how to figure out what "style" a beer is. For instance what style is Centennial Blonde Ale. I don't see a category for blonde ales, or some other styles too. How do you figure this out? Obviously I know the difference between a lager and and ale.

What about if all I have to work with is something like a "pumpkin ale". How would I classify something like that?

What about if all I have to work with is something like a "pumpkin ale". How would I classify something like that?

21A. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style21.php

You still name the "base style" but put it in 21A.

From that link: THE ENTRANT MUST SPECIFY THE UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE TYPE OF SPICES, HERBS, OR VEGETABLES USED. IF THIS BEER IS BASED ON A CLASSIC STYLE (E.G., BLONDE ALE) THEN THE SPECIFIC STYLE MUST BE SPECIFIED. CLASSIC STYLES DO NOT HAVE TO BE CITED (E.G., “PORTER” OR “WHEAT ALE” IS ACCEPTABLE). THE TYPE OF SPICES, HERBS, OR VEGETABLES MUST ALWAYS BE SPECIFIED.

Basically, once the beer does not have a style.... or goes beyond style it is probably going toward "specialty" or "Other smoked beer" or "Herb/vegetable" or "Fruit" or something like that. As yooper mentioned - there is always a "base" style - and then from there - what did you do to it to take it out of that style.

Back