Beer style with no to little carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
I am looking for a beer style with very little to no carbonation to brew for a beer loving friend that had the stomach band surgery...can't do carbonated drinks any more.

I remember my Army days in Germany some of their beers had very little carbonation and almost no head.....in fact, the locals wanted no head on their beer! That was 40 years ago and I don't know that I ever even knew the beer name! En bier, biita...one beer please, I remember that!

Thanks

British Bitter, Dry Irish Stout, Mild Ale, or English Pale Ale all tend to have low carbonation

i wonder if you could just make a beer you like and cut back on the priming sugar? less sugar would make me think less carbonation or skip priming all together?

i wonder if you could just make a beer you like and cut back on the priming sugar? less sugar would make me think less carbonation or skip priming all together?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to introduce some sugar for it to properly condition in the bottles. Otherwise you're going to end up with a bunch of bottled green beer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to introduce some sugar for it to properly condition in the bottles. Otherwise you're going to end up with a bunch of bottled green beer.

It depends on how soon the beer is bottled. If you knew you were going to finish at 1.007 and bottled at 1.008, you should still get carbonation. The "green beer" would still condition and mellow out given time like any other beer.

Lambic or similarly brewed beer can be non-carbonated.
Mead can be still as well, but it's more of a wine than a beer.

Kellerbier maybe? That's sort of a german cask lager, if I recall correctly.

I'll be honest. If it's a medical reason for no carbonation, it's probably best not to push it. There's probably a line in the sand, and if you don't know where the line is, you're asking for trouble.

If he insists on something with carbonation, all the calls for traditional English real ale is spot on. A nice sessionable bitter at about 1-1.2 volumes (barely more than the residual from fermentation). Best bet is to then serve on cask via sparkler. Gives a nice head and will knock out even more of the carbonation.

Back