Beer stoppped bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingWisdom

Reaction score
Hi
After one day my beer in the fermenter stopped bubbling. Is this is the indicator that fermentation has stopped or I did something wrong during the mashing process where less sugars were extracted from the grains?
Is it a normal thing during fermentation , for how long does your beer bubbles in the fermentor?

First off, the yeast only produce CO2 for a short time during the initial fast part of the ferment. Second off, the volume they produce is fairly low and any tiny leak will allow it to escape instead of bubbling it through the airlock. There is likely nothing wrong with your beer.

First off, the yeast only produce CO2 for a short time during the initial fast part of the ferment. Second off, the volume they produce is fairly low and any tiny leak will allow it to escape instead of bubbling it through the airlock. There is likely nothing wrong with your beer.
Well just to avoid any confusion by bubbling I mean the tiny bubbles which can be seen n the fermenter not the bubbles which are in the airlock.

First off, the yeast only produce CO2 for a short time during the initial fast part of the ferment. Second off, the volume they produce is fairly low and any tiny leak will allow it to escape instead of bubbling it through the airlock.

The volume produced is decently high I thought (a pound or two of CO2 per 5 gallon batch, no?), but the pressure is low unless you're in a sealed pressurized fermenter.

Well just to avoid any confusion by bubbling I mean the tiny bubbles which can be seen n the fermenter not the bubbles which are in the airlock.

Do you have an airlock on? What is the airlock doing? Are you talking about bubbles IN the beer, or the krausen on top?

The only way to know if fermentation is complete is to check with a hydrometer and know that the specific gravity is no longer falling for a beer that was kept at the acceptable fermentation temperatures for the yeast type used.

Bubbles really don't mean anything. Highly entertaining when it's your airlock or bubbler bottle popping. Somewhat useful when seen in your beer, but not definitive about whether fermentation is complete.

If you don't have a hydrometer, then just wait at least the two weeks that is standard SOP. More if it hasn't begun to clean up unless you are going to cold crash or use gelatin or other methods to make it clear and clean looking.... unless you want cloudy.

It could be a lot of factors that cause fermentation to stop. What was your grain bill? What was your mash temp? What yeast are you using? What was your OG? And, what is your current SG?

I’ve been watching a lot of the OP’s other threads and this is likely made from homemade malt in a country where traditional ingredients aren’t available and/or illegal. Without specific information like mash temps and gravity readings at different intervals, there’s no way to know what’s going on. This is also very dependent on whether or not the grains were malted properly in the first place. A comment in a different thread even mentions putting the malt into the microwave for a few minutes to “ get the moisture out and crisp it a little“.

Last edited:
First off, the yeast only produce CO2 for a short time during the initial fast part of the ferment.
A "relatively" short time, you mean?

Let me clarify this for the OP, @BrewingWisdom:
CO2 will be produced as long as there are fermentables available that the yeast(s) can metabolize.

Fermentation in beer usually takes longer than 1 day, 4-10 days (or longer) being more common, although there are outliers (e.g., Kveik strains at high temperatures).
The time and quantity of CO2 (and alcohol) produced per hour (or day) depends on the temperatures the beer is fermenting at, the yeast strain, the kind of fermentables that are available, etc. For example, complex sugars taking longer to ferment than simpler ones. There can be other factors too.

[...] by bubbling I mean the tiny bubbles which can be seen n the fermenter not the bubbles which are in the airlock.
Thank you for clarifying what you're looking at!

Those tiny bubbles suspended in the beer are indeed CO2, produced by the yeast as they metabolize available sugars into mostly CO2 and alcohol, and some (by)products.

Those tiny bubbles can be seen earlier on, during the growth phase, as there is still low fermentation activity. During that time the yeast is multiplying (growing in numbers), getting ready for "the big event," which will be fermenting the whole batch.
Once the yeast cells are numerous enough (10-100 million cells per ml!), they'll stop reproducing while sliding into full fermentation mode. During that time there is so much CO2 production, the bubbles grow bigger, causing turbulence, and mixing things up.

Back