Beer Smith help!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamsccn

Reaction score
I am 20 minutes into my boil for a wheat.. beersmith said 24IBU. I was just looking and I had PM checked instead of Extract. switched to extract and my IBU doubled.. is this a glitch??

Grains to Steep
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 9.5 %

heat to 170f

Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 3.00 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.001 SG
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 20.0 IBUs
0.31 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 24.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 7.3 IBUs
0.10 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 7.5 IBUs
2.00 g Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal
Fermentation Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -
6 lbs Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for1 min](8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 9 90.5 %

Maybe it defaults PM to be full volume, and Extract it defaults to partial volume? And maybe you can change that setting?

ok it was from changing my dme from full boil to late addition it doubled my IBU.. is that possible?

Looks like my OG is higher too 1.064... BS said 1.053.. maybe the higher alcohol will balance the hops?

Looks like my OG is higher too 1.064... BS said 1.053.. maybe the higher alcohol will balance the hops?

That could help. Plug that 20 min into BS and see what it says as well. The IBU's won't be as high as shown there. They'll still be up there, but I don't think in the 50's.

I wanted this to be a quick beer, on tap in two weeks. since the gravity and IBU's are significantly higher should I give it more time in the primary?

I wanted this to be a quick beer, on tap in two weeks. since the gravity and IBU's are significantly higher should I give it more time in the primary?

It would probably help, but if you made a starter and had a great fermentation in nice low temps, you may not have made too much off flavors that need to be cleaned. If you hit FG easily and quickly, give it 5-7 days more in the primary and keg it if it tastes good. If it tastes good when it's carbed, drink it.

daksin said:
It would probably help, but if you made a starter and had a great fermentation in nice low temps, you may not have made too much off flavors that need to be cleaned. If you hit FG easily and quickly, give it 5-7 days more in the primary and keg it if it tastes good. If it tastes good when it's carbed, drink it.

No starter but it took off in 5 hours... also kinda warm 73-74.. i'll prob drink it regardless...

Cold crashed and kegged after 1 week. 30 psi shook for 10 minutes.. taste pretty good. Prob better by the weekend

The hops turned out a little heavy but balanced nice with a lemon slice.

ForumRunner_20111130_131327.jpg

Back