beer smith and pc wipe out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnylocks

Reaction score
hey guys, so I have beer smith on my laptop and it was working great for moe once I got it dialed in. my laptop has been corrupt and now I need to have it wiped. I am not great with computers so I am going to give it to my it guy at work and let him do some voodoo magic. now I have taken all of my pics and such off of it but my only scare is the beersmith program and the things I have inputted into the program. I CAN re enter most of the information as I have it backed up in a notebook but that is a long process and not what I want to do. any recommendations?

you should be able to pull off the database file that contains all of your recipe info, like you did for your pics. The BS website will tell you where on your hard drive it should be located.

When you get your computer fixed, you should be able to import that file back into your reinstalled BS program.

you should be able to pull off the database file that contains all of your recipe info, like you did for your pics. The BS website will tell you where on your hard drive it should be located.

When you get your computer fixed, you should be able to import that file back into your reinstalled BS program.

thanks!

main concern is getting the install key again. i don't want to pay again haha. i think i seen i could get the key from them . what a PITA

I had the same thing happen. I emailed brad at BS and he was super helpful in getting me a key so I could get up and running again! I just emailed him and explained what happened.

When I moved to a new computer, I copied the BeerSmith directory from both the //program files directory and from the 'my documents' directory. Once I had the new computer up and running, I just replaced the folders in the appropriate places and everything worked as if it were there all along.

If you still have internet connectivity with your laptop, you can upload all your recipes and profiles to the cloud through BS. Once you get your laptop back and contact BS for your key, then download your recipes and profiles from the cloud.

I switched computers recently and just copied the entire BS directory folder to an external HD. I believe when you download the software on the new machine you are given the option to import an existing directory. worked for me.

+1 to what Oginme said. If you have a backup of your old BeerSmith directory, just do a fresh install of BeerSmith and then copy the files from the backup location to the new location.

sounds good guys thanks for the advise there is no internet access anymore on this laptop (running so bad I cant get it to open anything) I will hopefully do this correctly and be like nothing ever happened. thanks again

Back