Beer Shank and Tubing Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirthfuldragon

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I purchased a second-hand kegerator keezer ~ 2 years ago, and I've been fighting tubing and foamy pours, and I finally decided to fix it and do it right. I am trying to figure out what size tubing it actually neeeds. It pours okay at around 7 or 8 psi.

I pulled one of the shanks - they have integrated tail pieces, so I can't change the end barb size. The shank barb ID is ~0.245" and the barb OD goes from around 0.305" at the tip to ~0.330" at the widest.

I've heard good things about EVA barrier tubing, and I'm sorta getting tired of using vinyl and dumping the first couple of ounces every time I open a fresh tap.

Any help in figuring out what the shank size is and the right tubing for consistent pours would be great.

Edit: Shouldn't post before I've had my coffee. It's a keezer with a circulation fan. Line lengths are 12-15' vinyl currently. I've tried putting 3/16 ID line on the shanks, and even after using a heat gun, I don't see them stretching over those barbs.

Last edited:
If the Shank Barb has an ID .245, that's pretty darn close to 1/4 inch. Usually you want around 3/16th's ID for the tubing and shank barb. I would start with this tubing - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CPMS5MQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the Shank - something like this - https://www.amazon.com/COMINHKPR101...ank+tower&qid=1591275865&s=home-garden&sr=1-4

And start with 10' lengths of tubing and set your CO2 Regulator to 10-12 psi. That should help immensely. If you can keep the faucet and line cold, that'll help with foamy first pours. It's foamy because the beer in the line hits the warm faucet momentarily, which causes the co2 to break out of solution till it all cools down.

The shanks I got have a 1/4" OD barb so 3/16" ID tubing will fit on there. You may need to use warm water to heat up the end of the tubing and it'll be a struggle to get them on but they'll fit. And that's a good recommendation to start with 10ft per tap.

Thanks everyone. I ordered two rolls of 13/64 EVABarrire tubing (39' per roll). Would I see any issues with 13' lines, or should I be going longer?

Thanks everyone. I ordered two rolls of 13/64 EVABarrire tubing (39' per roll). Would I see any issues with 13' lines, or should I be going longer?

13/64" is 0.20" or 5.16mm ID, similar to BevSeal Ultra's 0.20" ID. 13' should work fine.

For comparison, I still use 19' of that "Ultra" per line, but I run the keezer a little warmer than most do, while the interior PET lining is ultra smooth, glass-like.

Latest posts

Back