Beer science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turret_plug

Reaction score
So, I just brewed a BB English brown..... The kit included a 3.3lb can of LME and 2 lbs of dry DME, besides the grains. It was supposed to OG at 1.045, which it was.

My question is why is the OG so low with all that malt? Shouldn't it be higher? Or is it based on more sugars in the wort? The beer is coming along fine, no worries, but sometimes the beer science leaves me scratching my head!

So, I just brewed a BB English brown..... The kit included a 3.3lb can of LME and 2 lbs of dry DME, besides the grains. It was supposed to OG at 1.045, which it was.

My question is why is the OG so low with all that malt? Shouldn't it be higher? Or is it based on more sugars in the wort? The beer is coming along fine, no worries, but sometimes the beer science leaves me scratching my head!

Ingredients have a 'set' amount of sugars. For example, LME usually provides 7 'points' per pound in a 5 gallon batch, so 1 pound of LME in 5 gallons will give you a gravity of 1.007. DME has more like 8.5, so in a 5 gallon batch, one pound would give you an OG of 1.008. So, if you had that up- 2 pounds of DME (about 17 points) and 3.3 pounds of LME (about 23) that is about 1.040. The steeping grains will give you a few points- so that is an OG of 1.045.

Wow!!!!

A beer alchemist.... That is something I'm gonna have to look up. I'm not a big brewer, or trying to get into all grain.... I just like the stuff I make from the kits, and like beer..... Plus the extract stuff is better than store bought any day in my opinion. Thanks for the response!

If you mix a pound of sugar in a gallon of water, you'll get a gravity of ~1.045. If you add a second gallon of water, the amount actual sugar stays the same, but the volume changes, and the gravity will drop to ~1.0225. Specific gravity is basically a ratio representing density compared to water, so as more sugar is dissolved the gravity goes up, and more water added gravity goes down.

Fermentable ingredients (malts, extracts, sugars, etc) are usually represented (at least for homebrewers) in terms of "points per pound per gallon", as Yooper mentioned above. LME is usually ~35-36 ppg, DME usually ~44 ppg (which work out to the approximately 7 or 8.5 respective points per 5 gallons), common sugars (table sugar, corn sugar, etc) are usually ~45 ppg. Many malted grains are in the 30-37 ppg range but can vary widely, and then with grain there's extraction efficiency too (which varies from one brewer's equipment setup and process to the next) and the contribution from steeping grains is usually pretty small. But with sugars and extracts, 100% of the sugars make it into the wort (instead of a percentage that would be left out with grains). The lucky consequence of this is that with extract brewing, the gravity is directly based off of the volume that you have and the extract/sugars that you added. It makes it all but impossible to miss your gravity on an extract beer unless you either add/withold ingredients, or add/reduce volume.

Another good read..... Thanks guys. I'm pondering all this over an extract IPA as we speak..... Which of course, is delicious!

Back