Beer required 1.066 OG and I was at 1.058

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the stupid answer is you get beer.......

Although this could be from a number of issues. Did you correct you hydrometer for temp? was this AG or Extract. If the latter was it properly mixed? RDWHAHB your beer will turn out fine.

What the above poster said. You will get a perfectly acceptable (while slightly less postent) beer. Assuming you are brewing extract one of two things likely happened. 1) it was not thoroughly mixed before you took your sample 2) your volume was off or you added too much water (ended up with more liquid than the recipe called for in the end).

If you brewed all-grain and it was your first one then 8 points low could be worse.

Either way, you're beer will be fine and plenty potent at 1.058

Less alcohol.

It'll probably turn out just fine. You can keep some DME on hand to add to the boil if you miss your gravity next time...if you're really concerned with duplicating a recipe exactly. I'd just roll with it, im sure it will make great beer.

Hopefully this isn't a hijack as I had a question that pretty well fell in that same realm. I like a beer with a stronger flavour/body (Belgian abbey, double stouts, etc) and when I got my munich dark lager LME kit, the LHBS said instead of topping up the water to make 23L as per instructions, only top to 20L (.75 Gal less). Lucky for me (insert sarcasm here) after I poured and mixed the wort, I smashed my hydrometer on my pyrex by accident, so I couldn't take the O.G. Is this just going to end me up with a stronger (alcohol) taste beer? or...?

Thanks in advance!

If it's a partial boil extract based beer, you probably just have an off reading from it not getting mixed thoroughly when you topped it off. This is so common you can call it normal. The bad news is it's almost impossible to get a completely homogeneous mix of the wort from a partial boil; the good news is it's almost impossible for your real OG to be off my more than about half a point from the recipe/calculation when you're using extracts.

Gravity is just measuring the density of the liquid... if it's lower then it's not as dense and you'll get a lighter beer....

Back