Beer recipes for a beginner from extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-randypan

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm in the uk and I wanted to know if anyone has some recipes for some good beer. I brew from extract and just wanted some ideas, I'm gonna do a liquorice ale one and boil up a liquorice stick then add, also I'm wanting to do a Mexican cerveza with kaffir lime leaves, just easy stuff like that to alter the taste a little.. Soooo any ideas would be great fully appreciated!! At the moment I'm doing a lager and I boiled up some cherry and cinnamon twining tea bags ( 20 so far) but can't really taste them so I'm gonna boil some more and add at bottling to hopefully increase the taste of the tea!
Anyways I'll stop rattling on now, can't wait for some of your ideas!!

Mug

I lucked into a fairly easy recipe that ended up coming out pretty good. My Dad (not a beer connoisseur but also not a BMC-drinker) wanted to take home a 12-pack, and he didn't ask for any of my other beers.

It was:

3.3 lbs Bress Pilsner LME
3.3 lbs Muntons Wheat LME
.75 oz Hallertau (3.9%) (60)
.75 oz Tettang (3.9%) (60)
.25 oz Hallertau flameout
pinch of coriander, cinnamon, and ginger at flameout
WYeast 3944 (Belgian wit)

Bought one pound of kumquats, froze them for a week, thawed them and smashed them up in a small container with vodka (for sanitation), and then dropped them straight in the primary (12 days after brew day). I imagine you could do something similar with your citrus fruit of choice. One word of warning, the head is mediocre because of the citrus.

measured OG (without fruit) of 1.043
measured SG before adding fruit of 1.021 (my extract batches always finish high)
measured FG (two weeks after fruit addition) of 1.012

There is a large recipe database on the main page. It is sorted by style, then you can further sort by extract/all grain/partial mash.

Back