beer pot size help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilospencer

Reaction score
hey guys, im new to brewing, whats the best size pot for brewing beer to buy for making 6 gallon batch?

I have a 10 gallon pot for 5-6 gallon batches at full boil volume.

Plenty of room for the extra liquid volume to boil off and enough extra to keep the hot break foam from overflowing the pot..

Get a 10g or larger ... It'll save you from having to upgrade when you switch to full volume BIAB...

Seriously... You don't find too many people complaining of having too big of a kettle... But plenty posts on here are asking how to make do with too small of a kettle, or what to upgrade to go to full boil extract, or BIAB...

Do it right the first time.

You might even do fine with an 8 gallon pot.
You’ll boil off about 1 gallon with a ~10gallon pot.
6 gallon batch full boil, means you start boiling with about 7 gallons.
How much more space do you want to avoid a boil over?
An 8 gallon pot, you’ll have to watch it like a hawk when coming up to a boil.
The bigger the pot (diameter), the more you’ll boil off.

What is your heat source? Stove Top, Propane/NG or Electric?

Get a 10g or larger ... It'll save you from having to upgrade when you switch to full volume BIAB...

Seriously... You don't find too many people complaining of having too big of a kettle... But plenty posts on here are asking how to make do with too small of a kettle, or what to upgrade to go to full boil extract, or BIAB...

Do it right the first time.

What he said.

10 gallon Plus pot gets my vote. Started with a 7.5 gallon pot then went straight to a 15.5 gallon pot. I also have a 10 gallon pot. Both work well. I prefer the 15.5. Higher boil off rate and I never.........repeat NEVER......have to worry about boil over with 7 gallons of wort at the start of boil if the lid is off.

This is a nice pot for the money. Lid is a tad flimsy but the pot is thicker than all the budget pots I have encountered. https://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-1-Weld-Volume-Marked-Brew-Pot_p_6065.html

Back