Beer possibly contaminated with some wild bacteria, should I add campden right away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckenneth

Reaction score
Hello,

I made 5 gal batch of extract beer for testing, and I added some cold water from my RO filter, before i changed the membrane, and when I looked at the membrane, it looked like it had some bacteria was growing on it. So its probably already in the beer.

The regular fermentation from the yeast just finished and I don't smell any off-flavors yet.

My question is, if there is a possibility of contamination, should I add a campden tablet or two immediately right after the primary fermentation finished?

Is it too early?

I had a batch of beer that spoiled before, and I added a tablet about a week or two into the primary. It was still drinkable and didn't make me sick, but it had an awful smell.

I don't want this to happen to my current batch, so Campden or Potassium Sorbate and how much for the 5 gallon batch. And how many days should I wait after fermentation finished?

P.S. I'm totally aware I should not be adding cold water to beer,

Thanks,
-D

Hello,

I made 5 gal batch of extract beer for testing, and I added some cold water from my RO filter, before i changed the membrane, and when I looked at the membrane, it looked like it had some bacteria was growing on it. So its probably already in the beer.

The regular fermentation from the yeast just finished and I don't smell any off-flavors yet.

My question is, if there is a possibility of contamination, should I add a campden tablet or two immediately right after the primary fermentation finished?

Is it too early?

I had a batch of beer that spoiled before, and I added a tablet about a week or two into the primary. It was still drinkable and didn't make me sick, but it had an awful smell.

I don't want this to happen to my current batch, so Campden or Potassium Sorbate and how much for the 5 gallon batch. And how many days should I wait after fermentation finished?

P.S. I'm totally aware I should not be adding cold water to beer,

Thanks,
-D
I would be trying to fix the cause of the problem instead of trying to fix it later. Your beer will be better.

David

As I stated above, I noticed the growths when I was replacing the water filters.

Anyways, my solution was to dump campden into primary right away, then a week later, I would add some yeast from a bottle fermented beer to hopefully help clear up the yeast sediment.

No concern, very high likely hood that any bacteria won't survive above 4% alcohol. Campden won't hurt though. Not sure what the "adding bottle yeast" would accomplish- sediment is natural and will settle at the end of ferm. Your timelines may be the root of spoilage- beer selects for bacteria that can survive in it but it is not a big concern unless given a chance to thrive. Campden in wine is important to protect during aging but beer should be a quick enough process that spoilage isn't a big concern. It may also be a chemical flaw that your are blaming on spoilage.

If you had a decent fermentation with regular yeast, you should not be concerned.

Most bacteria that can survive in beer, will take a long time to create favors (off flavors to some, complementary flavors to others) once alcohol is present. Drink within 6 months and you should not have any issues.

Acetobacter is the odd ball. It will work quick in an oxygen and alcohol environment. It makes vinegar; pretty unmistakable. Keep O2 out and you will be OK.

Once fermentation has taken place, it is difficult to ruin with bacteria. Over a long period (year) acid producing bacteria and brett can make a big difference to a beer. Most spoilage occurs before the yeast starts working.

I noticed how you said Brett, and that's exactly what Im planning on adding once the campden clears out. I had bad luck fermenting directly with brettanomyces, but excellent time adding it after primary fermentation. It seems to eat most of the byproducts and really clean up the beer. Makes a cheap kit taste expensive.

The two beers I had spoiled really had a rotten flavor. There were solid chunks of bacteria about 2 inches in diameter floating at the top.

One was so bad I had to hold my breath to dump it out. It sat about a month in primary. Second one I added campden a week after fermentation, and the smell and taste was bearable, but it seemed to smell like the same as the first one.

They were both fermented in two different old HDPE buckets, which I periodically sanitized.

I didn't realize that plastic is porous and bacteria will survive in microscopic pores even when the bucket is filled with a solution of water, bleach, and starsan for a week.

I tested making kombucha in the same bucket, it spoiled the same way.

So I'm pretty sure its not the bacteria in water, because all of it was boiled in every case.

Must have been just too old buckets. They have been since replaced

Thanks for the input.

Back