Beer out of CO2 side of tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20GT

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I used my kegerator, so cleaned the tap. I must have done something wrong because when I engaged it to the keg beer started coming out of the CO2 side and popped out the check value. (not connected to CO2 yet) was I supposed to connect the CO2 first or is something else wrong?

OLD PICTURE just for reference It doesn't show the problem
467044_3369418433547_1304299147_o.jpg

I would imagine that yes, kegs are shipped pressurized and therefore if you connect the keg with no pressure or specifically anything with less pressure than the keg that something will come out of the keg to equalize the pressure. A full keg could totally spew out of the gas in port with nothing stopping it.

That. There is pressure in the keg, and if you don't have pressure in the CO2 line when you connect it, well, pressure equalizes. High pressure in the keg pushes back through the CO2 line.

I Just figured that out in my head while driving to daycare lol
thanks

That's interesting that the duckbill check valve in the tap could be pushed back. I have never heard of that or would think it would be possible with a sanke tap.

Back