Beer lost clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I have posted on a few other threads the fact that I'm having some kegerator issues. So not to repeat the past, I'll just say that my kegerator in the garage is dealing with very cold temps. The garage has been in the 20's causing the inside of the fridge to also go below freezing. In fact , I don't even have the fridge plugged in.

However, the beer lines were freezing going into the taps. I have been able to free them up by aiming a small space heater at the side of the fridge where the taps are located.

Although I don't know why, the beer in the kegs have not frozen solid because when the taps are warmed, the beer pours freely. Also I have bottles of beer in the door that have not frozen.

However something is going on inside those kegs. My German Alt which had been crystal clear is now pouring cloudy with all kinds of sediment mixed in. I'm wondering if there is some partial freezing going on inside the kegs and this is somehow kicking up the sediment layer at the bottom? Anyone have any experiences with such issues?

Back