Beer line sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
I want it to be known that I did use the search function prior to posting this but couldn't find anything on the subject.

Unlike King Arthur or Sir Bedamir, I am not so wise in the ways of science. In the past, I have sanitized the beer line to my keg by running the one step and water solution through it prior to emptying the keg's cleaning solution.

Thus, the cleaning solution is now stuck on the beer line until I either empty it either when I pour the beer for the first time or empty prior to transferring the beer into the keg.

Is there potential for the solution to leak back into the keg while the beer is carbing up or should I empty the cleaning solution in the beer line prior to hooking the beer up to CO2? The reason why I haven't been doing that is I didn't want bacteria to have a chance to grow while waiting two weeks for beer to carb up at 12psi. I guess that might not matter if it is kept cold in the fridge.

I hope that long-winded question made sense. Any input is greatly appreciated. I learn by trial and error but trial and error is starting to get expensive!

When I fill the keg I purge with CO2 and put a little pressure on it to make sure it is sealed. Then use a short picnic tap to draw off a little beer through the line and flush out the sanitizer/cleaner.

If the line is clean, bacteria should not grow. Empty the line and do not connect it until you are ready to drink, then that way there is no chance of leak back. Then run sanitizer through it prior to pulling the first pint.

P.S.

Stop using "one-Step" and use PBW and Starsan.

This is what I do and it works very nicely for me...

As soon as the keg kicks, I pull it out and rinse in the sink with hot water, then fill it with a 1/2g of warm water and about a 1/2 scoop of OxiClean and replace the lid. I shake the bejeebus out of it several times over about 15 minutes. Connect the gas/beer lines and run the entire contents out the tap into a bucket. Then back to the sink I go and rinse the inside of the keg really well with cold water until all of the soapiness is gone. Seal it up with a 1/2g of cold water, connect again to gas/beer lines, and drain it through the tap into bucket. Finally, add 1/2g of properly diluted Starsan to the keg, seal it up, and shake the bejeebus out of it and run it out through the tap. At this point, both my keg and lines are cleaned and sanitized and ready to go. When I'm ready to fill the keg, which could be days or weeks later, I release the pressure, remove the lid, and rack my beer since it's already sanitized.

When the keg is done, I unplug the line and toss it in the keezer. Then it can be either plugged into a new keg as is or cleaned. Cleaning it on every other keg should work o.k. I unscrew the hose and clean it with soap and water. Then store star san in the line and when it's time to tap, open the valve over a glass and then plug the line in. Everything in the line will then dump in a second.

When one of my kegs kick i do the following...
Rinse keg out with hot tap water to get as much out as possible.
Measure put ~1.5-2oz PBW and pour into keg. Add anout 1.5 gallons hot tap water to keg. Fit lid, hit with CO2 to seal and shake the ever loving F out of it. Set aside for at least 15-30 minutes.
Send PBW solution through beer line the keg was previously on. I rhn at least a half gallon at ~20 psi to push it harder through the line to clean better.
Drain the keg either through faucet or into sink and rinse well (easier than with oxy).
Add ~1.5 gallons of water to rinsed keg ans run that through the beer line (same way as with PBW).
Add 2-4 quarts of StarSan solution to keg, pressurize, shake to hell and back again and run through the beer line. I sometimes leave the line with StarSan in it, other times i push until its clear (filled with CO2).
Connect up new keg to line and either pull to remove StarSan from line, or just enough to get good brew flowing.
Sit back and enjoy another keg of homebrew from one of three taps. :rockin:

When you use 10# or 20# tanks, CO2 is pretty damned cheap. I get enough mileage out of the tanks I use for cleaning and such to not worry about it. Plus I go to a place that fills them at a solid rate.

badbrew said:
Then store star san in the line and when it's time to tap, open the valve over a glass and then plug the line in. Everything in the line will then dump in a second.

Basically this is what I do to ensure it goes out the tap!! I always have a keg with sanitizer in it and flush the line after each keg.. After 2-3 kegs I inspect my line to see if there is any deposits forming especially around the barbed fittings.. As long as the pressure is released in the line the positive pressure in the keg will push out anything in the line :mug:

Seems like you guys are wasting alot of co2. And you didn't answer the question

Honestly, I don't know the answer to the OP's question. Instead, I (and the others after me) subtly suggested another method that eliminates the problem altogether, as the only thing that could possibly backflow into his carbing beer is Starsan, which is benign.

And, like Golddiggie stated, CO2 is pretty cheap. I'm fine with using ~$0.50 of CO2 to clean and sanitize my keg, line, and faucet in one fell swoop once a month or so when one kicks. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back