Beer Is A Lifesaver (Even If It Was BMC)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanaandy

Reaction score
Man Survives on Frozen Beer after Getting Truck Stuck in Alaska Snowdrift for Three Days
Updated: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 11:20 AM CST
Published : Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 11:20 AM CST
(NewsCore) - A man was recovering Sunday after surviving nearly three days stuck in his pickup truck in an Alaskan snowdrift by eating frozen cans of light beer.
Clifton Vial was unable to dig out his Toyota Tacoma after it plunged into the snowdrift some 40 miles north of the town of Nome, in western Alaska, on Monday night, the Anchorage Daily News reported.
He had no food and no water -- and was out of cell phone coverage.
"I felt really [mad] at myself," Vial said. "I shouldn't have been out there by myself unprepared for what I knew was possible."
After getting into a sleeping bag and wrapping a bath towel around his feet, he could only occasionally start the truck to run the heater -- and wait for rescuers to arrive.
The operator mechanic's employer reported him missing to police Wednesday and it wasn't until Thursday afternoon that authorities managed to locate the vehicle.
Vial said he found the freezing temperatures worse than the hunger during his 60-hour ordeal but got desperate enough to "eat" a few cans of Coors Light that had frozen solid.
"I cut the lids off and dug it out with a knife," he said.
The 52-year-old said he had no visible signs of frostbite but had lost about 16 pounds.

Read more on myFOXdfw.com: Man Survives on Frozen Beer after Getting Truck Stuck in Snow for Three Days

Crazy. Glad he made it out alright. I almost had a similar thing happen almost 1 year ago. I was driving back to my hometown on Christmas Eve last year, blizzard out of nowhere. I was going slow down this country road and saw a huge snowplow truck coming my way quick (55mph speed limit, curvy, 1 lane each way, hills). My car is one of the worst for snow - a Camaro with about 500 ft/lb torque, and a stiff clutch, RWD of course). I was doing about 25mph, barely touched my brakes and started sliding into the incoming lane sideways, so I corrected it but it didn't do anything since it was so slick, so I had to give it more gas to push me back into my lane - about 1 second before the truck flew by. Luckily I did not overshoot it because there was no shoulder, just a drop off. Thank God I had a 1/2bbl of my Kentucky Common in the trunk. I believe that gave me just enough weight to get just enough traction to get back to my lane, so I believe beer saved my life as well.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit, on a hot summer day, I don't mind a BMC. Had one on a hot summer day in Tokyo this past summer and it sure felt like it saved my life.

No water? And he was stuck in a snow drift AND could run the engine? Who wrote this story, a Floridian? :drunk:

M_C

I was stuck in a drift 2 weeks ago while returning from hunting in the high country. 70+MPH winds caused 6' drifts to appear on the county road where there was a funnel coming down from the Rockies. Came upon it as I was coming over the top of a hill and there was no time to react. I was in my 94 Land Cruiser. 1st time I have ever been stuck in that vehicle in the 17 years that I have owned it and we have been through storms and situations that you would not believe over the years here in MT. The local tow truck got stuck repeatedly trying to get close enough to hook up (not like they aren't familiar with the conditions around here). Wrong place, wrong time and unfortunately this type of thing happens and there is nothing you can do about it. I would agree that he was foolish going out without provisions. I always have plenty of water, freeze dried food, and of course firearms with me. I will make certain to add beer to the list...

3 days. Big whoop. I'm sure he was on the edge of death. :eyeroll:

Plus, drinking frozen beer is only going to make you colder. He should have drank his own urine. Same flavor, but warmer.

Since he was a coors light drinker he obviously didn't think to thaw the beer at the same time he ran the engine to warm his extremities... It would have ruined the super-cold activation.

coors_cans.03.jpg
the-shining-300x225.jpg

------Cold--------Colder--------------------Ready to drink Coors Light!---

Hmmm.....survived on Coors Light that just happened to be in the car with him when he drove into a snow drift? Wonder what caused him to drive into the drift? :drunk:

Just sayin'

No kidding. FFS, it was 60 hours. He could have eaten snow instead of frozen Coors Light and lost an extra 1/2 pound.

Gotta be careful when you eat snow (other than the yellow snow part). It takes a tremendous amount of heat to convert snow to water and raise it to body temperature. You could potentially get hypothermia by doing that. However, since he could cut the engine on, not so much of a problem there.

M_C

Gotta be careful when you eat snow (other than the yellow snow part). It takes a tremendous amount of heat to convert snow to water and raise it to body temperature. You could potentially get hypothermia by doing that. However, since he could cut the engine on, not so much of a problem there.

Did you read the article? He was eating frozen Coors Light.

I was going to work one morning at 4:30 something on I90 East. Cleared the treeline in an 89 Aerostar at 25mph,& a big gust of wind blew me sideways. I looped it on purpose since I was heading for the center strip front first. The tail pipe got clogged with snow & dirt.
It took a couple hours for a fella in a Toyota Tundra 4 wheel drive with Rancho suspension & Goodhide Wrangler tires to pull me out. It was -25F With wind chill to boot. At least it was only a couple hours.

To bad it was not a Russian Imperial Stout. He may have survived the winter on that stuff :)

Back