Beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelSterling8

Reaction score
Ok so I was short on bottles for my IPA after primary fermentation, but i took gravity readings and tasted beer and all seemed good.... been sitting in a secondary now for about 10 days till i was able to get btls, and I've just washed and sanitized everything to bottle when I pulled the carboy out to start transferring to the bottling bucket, I noticed a cpl white objects maybe 1-2mm in size coming off the yeast bed maybe 3inches and then falling back into the yeast bed, i've let it sit and I still see this anomely going on. I've never seen this happen before!!!! Is my beer infected? should i ditch the batch? I am throwing out the fact that this was a particularly expensive batch so I'd rather not lose it but I'd honestly like to know wtf those are in my beer and if I should just dump it.

Please let me know ASAP as I'm ready to btl right now haha.

If it changes anything the thing i'm seeing does look like yeast.... but does yeast clump and move like that?

They like to swim at times. You sure it has reached final gravity? Most infections spread across the top.

What you are describing sounds like bits of yeast being brought to the surface by CO2 bubbles. When the yeast reaches the top (and sometimes before) it releases from the CO2 and drops back to the bottom.

Its kind of fun to watch what happens to a raisin in a glass of sprite/7up. It's the exact same thing.

Latest posts

Back