Beer in secondary developed an "alcohol" smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattCharleston

Reaction score
Did an all grain kit from NB about 2 weeks ago. OG: 1049, gravity after 2 weeks gravity was down to 1009. transferred to secondary to clear up/condition a little before kegging. Taste and smell at 1009 reading was great. Been in secondary for almost 3 days, gravity still at 1009, but now the smell is a bit "alcoholic." I have heard this will mellow out, not worried...but would it be best to cold crash it for a day, drop out the yeast and keg to condition out to get it off the yeast cake? or let it mellow out on the yeast cake that has formed in the secondary for another week or 2? Thanks for the advice.

Matt

First, the speech...putting beers that do not need extended bulk aging (barley wine and such) is a practice of which I can think of no valid reason to do. It provides opportunity for oxygenating the beer and infection. Whether or not your problem is related to the secondary or not I cannot tell. What I would do is to flush the secondary with CO2 (if you haven't already) and let the beer sit on what yeast is left for a week or so as the yeast are your best good friends when it comes to removing off flavors. Then once the yeast have done everything they can I would proceed to kegging.

thanks for the reply. I have been skeptical of the whole transfer process, but I only have one primary fermenter, and wanted to brew up another batch. I may be purchasing an additional primary with my next malt order. I will leave it on the yeast cake for about a weekish. I've heard alot of people say that the yeast will clean up, just seein if this was a common thing. Thanks yall

Back