Beer in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
How long can you keep the beer in a keg fresh? If I put my 5gls in the keg and drink a few glass here and there, how long before it goes bad?

I've heard of people having beer in kegs for over 6 months just fine. Mine don't seem to last longer than a couple of weeks though. I found that when I started kegging the beer seemed to disappear unexplainably. Perhaps mixing with CO2 in this manner causes some beer to disintegrate. I can't come up with a reason for the expanded waistline though.

I've heard of people having beer in kegs for over 6 months just fine. Mine don't seem to last longer than a couple of weeks though. I found that when I started kegging the beer seemed to disappear unexplainably. Perhaps mixing with CO2 in this manner causes some beer to disintegrate. I can't come up with a reason for the expanded waistline though.

very true, very

Should be able to keep beer in the keg for an indefinite amount of time, the CO2 keeps things from getting oxidized. I've had higher gravity brews in kegs for long periods of time but for the most part I usually drain a keg within a month or two.

Is 5lb CO2 tank enough to keep beer fresh for a long time? if it is why buy anything bigger. Not sure why anybody would by a 10 or 15 lb CO2 tank

A 5# CO2 tank will last about 8 kegs or so, give or take. The reason people buy bigger tanks is that they have multiple beers on tap, or they don't want to swap tanks as often.

A 5# CO2 tank will last about 8 kegs or so, give or take. The reason people buy bigger tanks is that they have multiple beers on tap, or they don't want to swap tanks as often.

Yep. I would like to get a 20# someday and fill my 5 pounder off that.
My 5 pound is about empty i think for the first time. I've used it trough 3 kegs, two on tap now and for clearing a some clogs at 10psi last brew day.

I bought a 5 pounder originally.
One day I went to the local welding shop to swap for a full one (everywhere around me only swaps and doesn't refill) and they were out. He gave me a 20 pounder instead. I have had a 20 pound tank ever since. I will never go back. I run a two tap kegerator and am able to force carb all my brews as well. I have to refill it (swap it) about once a year.

Latest posts

Back