Beer gun vs tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a beer gun, but then I started wondering the real difference between that and running tubing from my tap into the bottle I want to fill. A beer gun isn't something that I would use all of the time. I started thinking that I could cap bombers or bottles to fill for family members and friends, so if pouring from the tap will accomplish the same thing, I'm all for that.

Does anyone use a beer gun and would my other method work fine enough? What is the longevity of a beer gun vs the way that I'm thinking about doing it? When I used to bottle, the beer would be good for a few months, but I'm not sure if that's the same for both of the methods above...

Thanks!

I just filled a growler with a piece of vinyl tubing stretched over the tap. You might have to stretch one end to get it on there. It works fine for occasional use.

I don't keep the bottles around for very long, but I only ever fill bottles with tubing. I purge them with CO2 first, so while I haven't tested it I'd bet they'd keep for quite a while.

I bought one of those fittings like they use at brewery taprooms for filling growlers. It fits inside the faucet and has a tube hanging down to the bottom of the container. It works great for growlers. Just cap on foam and try to consume sooner rather than later. I haven't used a gun so I don't know what it does that's better. I assume the guns are better for long term bottling but I just bottle to give to a friend or take to a party or something.

If all you're looking to do is bottle short term I'd say the gun's not worth it but that's just my opinion.

I have both an attachment for my Perlick to fill growlers/bombers and the Beer Gun, and I would say that all of my competition beer filled with the attachment comes back "undercarbonated."

I have used both. Beer gun for me. Easier to purge with co2 and less mess. The long hose also helps keep the co2 in solution.

I have both, for growlers or flip top bottles that I am giving coworkers or drinking fast, I fill from tap. For anything else, beer gun.

Latest posts

Back