beer gun for growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
Anybody know how long the beer will last in a growler using a gun? What works better metal or plastic cap?

I don't have a beer gun, but I have had growlers lose no carbonation for 2-3 days with the metal cap screwed down tightly. Might go longer, but I've always cracked the growler by day 2 or 3.

I just turn the gas off on my keg, pour a half pint for myself, and then fill the growler tipped on its side. Very little foam with this setup and super duper easy. Even less foam if you remember to chille the growler ahead of time.

If you have a cobra tap, put a piece of tubing on the end so you're filling the growler from the bottom up. Definitely chill the growler first- I do it in the freezer for an hr. I usually fill 32oz swing tops and over carb the beer slightly, I have had them last a week without losing the carb, but once you open it you gotta drink it within a day or so.

Wondering if I can keg carb them

There's lots of good advice on the thread...I always carbonate in the keg and then bottle or fill growlers from there, if that's what you're asking.

Something no one seems to mention that for whatever reason seems to make a world of difference for me is putting the vessel I'm filling with a beergun (either a bottle or growler) ABOVE the level of the keg.

OP... Unless the growler cap makes a complete seal like a flip top or regular bottle capper, it will only last a few days. I have swing top growlers and those have kept well for up to 2 weeks.

Dudest said:
Will the beer keep as good as in a capped bottle is the question

CA_mouse is right on. The growler is generally for short term storage, it isn't an alternative to kegging or bottling.

I have bottled into growlers with no problems. The first time I just tried one when I bottled the rest of the batch. After that I bottled a about half growlers and half 12 oz. When I bottled to grower I always ended up drinking them within about 6 months, so I cannot say how long they would've lasted. I have all plastic caps with the translucent plastic liners on the growlers. I have also filled growlers from the tap and had them last, with no loss of carbonation, for two weeks.

I have bottled into growlers with no problems. The first time I just tried one when I bottled the rest of the batch. After that I bottled a about half growlers and half 12 oz. When I bottled to grower I always ended up drinking them within about 6 months, so I cannot say how long they would've lasted. I have all plastic caps with the translucent plastic liners on the growlers. I have also filled growlers from the tap and had them last, with no loss of carbonation, for two weeks.

Well shut me up, then. I've never heard of that. Are the liners in the plastic caps oxygen absorbing? Are they disposable or reusable? Inquiring minds (at least one) want to know!

I've left beer in a regular growler for a week or two and it didn't lose any carbonation. Just make sure the cap is clean with a good gasket in it, have the growler chilled, leave as little headspace as you can, get the lid nice and tight and keep it in the fridge after it's full. The swing-tops are definitely better though. I don't have a beergun, I just fill the growler using a growler filler insert that goes into the faucet.

Toymaker, I found those caps you were talking about at my lhbs 38c each. Cant wait to use the 'no stinkin beer gun in one of these'

Latest posts

Back