Beer gun bottling pressure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
I see and use the force carbonation chart to get my keg carb'd to about where I want (very colorful). I am force carbing a keg that I will bottle with a beer gun. I understand the volumes, temp, and PSI I want in the keg to pour to give a nice pint when poured into a glass. If I am going to use the beer gun to fill some bottles, does there need to be any additional pressure force carb'd into the beer in the keg to adjust for any time the beer is unpressurized in the bottle before capping? Since the small volume of co2 in the bottle when it is capped is not under any pressure - I assume the pressure will have to come out of the co2 in the beer until it equalizes.

Any form of bottling from a keg, you'll want the keg carbonated a bit higher than what you want the finished beer in the bottle to be, due to both whatever losses you get when bottling (which will vary by method) and the pressuring of the head space you mention.

I'm usually bump the pressure up 2-4 psi for a couple days prior to bottling. Kinda depends on how concerned I am about the impact of a particular beer being slightly undercarbonated.

I agree. I keg at 15 psi for bottling and about 10-12 if it's just for the kegerator.

Prior to bottling I shutoff the CO2 and empty any residual pressure, then turn on the CO2 at 2-5 psi.

I don't have a counter pressure filler do the low psi helps reduce foaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also, don't forget to let some beer run out of each bottle to try and push any additional O2 out... And cap fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks all. I thought it made sense to bump it up a bit. Wasn't sure how much. Thanks for the numbers. Looking forward to bottling the next batch. I have been looking forward to not bottle carbing for a long time.

Back