Beer Gas (Nitro) Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LooyvilleLarry

Reaction score
I am (finally) getting this set up. I have the stout faucet, N2 regulator, and a keg of porter that could use a bit more mouthfeel.

When talking to the local suppliers, only one will sell be a smaller than HUGE container. (I have a 40# bottle, but have to get a new hydrostatic test on it).

I guess the question is How many kegs out of a 40# beer gas bottle ?
I am wondering about just going with the bigger one, and serving off of that (carbing naturally).

A 5 year lease is $175, first fill is free with the lease.

What say the group?
1)Get the 40# tank tested, fill it, and enjoy my stouts, porters, cream ales on it
or
2)Get the big boy set up and serve everything off of BG
3) ?

40# will last a long time. I guess you won't need to refill often. I'd go with something smaller just due to the size.

Do you mean 40 cubic feet? That is the size of the tank I have. These are measured in CF, and CO2 in pounds.

You can just call AirGas and special order the beer gas mix, specify you have a 40cf tank already and you want to swap out with the one to be picked up. They call you when it's in, go there, pay, swap, leave. That's what I do.
Name: Airgas Mid America
Phone: (502) 456-5429
Fax: (502) 456-5440
Address: 4534 Bishop Lane,
Louisville, KY 40218
Facility Type(s): Fill Plant
Branch
Medical Branch
Retail Store

Now as for how long it will last, I dispensed 2 cornies in 1 night and it's at 1500psi right now at about 64*F. So at least half, if not 3/4 full. I can't remember the pressure it started out at. Also, it may have leaked a little during that night, as I've had issues with some of my cornies. I would just go with that.

Back