Beer from concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuri4x4

Reaction score
Let me preface this topic by saying this was not my idea. I just stumbled upon an interesting website last night, and haven't been able to stop pondering this problem ever since. The website is: http://www.patsbcb.com/ I am in no way affiliated with this company.

In a nutshell:
Pat and I share a common bond in that we are avid hikers. (almost) Nothing is better than a beer at camp, after a strenuous hike. But hikers need to be mindful of every ounce of weight in their pack. The way weight-removal is accomplished with food is to dehydrate and re-hydrate later at camp. But is there a way to do this with beer?

You can't boil-off water from beer without boiling off the alcohol too. Pat has supposedly figured out a way to brew with almost no water to make a concentrated beer-syrup (which is high in alcohol). Which opened-up a whole new slew of legal hurdles. I fear that the government will never get it figured out in order for Pat to bring this product to market, and if they do it won't take long before kids are putting this 'alcohol syrup' into Red Bull, or some other crazy concoction and it will get pulled from the market.

(As for CO2: Pat has designed a bottle that can carbonate beer/soda by using a reaction similar to alca-selzer (this might be beneficial to homebrewers as well). He already sells this product as well as single-serving soda concentrate pouches to use with it.)

My idea is to forget about all the legal mumbo-jumbo. I want to figure out how normal people can make 'beer concentrate' in their own homes. I've heard rumor that beers like Bud Light are actually brewed at a higher gravity, then watered-down later. So the idea of adding water to finished beer isn't new.

I'm an experienced homebrewer, but nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of you. This is where I thought I'd let you experts chime-in...

Homebrewers use a lot of water brewing beer. Back in my extract days, I only boiled a couple gallons, then just topped-off to 5 gallons post-boil. Is it possible to NOT add that post-boil water yet still get enough alcohol? Does the yeast really need the water? If you used (say) a 5-gallon recipe with only 1 gallon of water, would you get 5-times the alcohol in that single gallon? Will the yeast survive those conditions?

An alternative plan would be to basically make ice-beer. Freeze beer and remove the ice. I don't know how far you could go with it, or even how to do it specifically. BMC used to make ice-beers (and may still do it AFAIK). But if you were successful in removing half the water content, that's twice as much remote-location beer for the same weight/effort.

What about dehydrating beer? Ethanol's boiling point is 173 degrees F... If you stayed under that temperature, could you dehydrate beer?

Or what about distilling-off the ethanol, then adding it back in to the concentrate?

Any other suggestions?

Frankly, it seems like it would be very difficult to make a beer that would be worth all this trouble. But even if a concentrated homebrew IPA came out tasting like a Bud Light, that would be better than hauling all that weight.

+1 on the whiskey. Or bring other drugs that don't weigh so much! No serious answer from me though :(. Subscribed though to see other's ideas.

This might not be "on topic" but I remember seeing something about beer raviolis. The breakthrough for that inventor was the similar problem of having the beer thick enough as not to squirt out all over when cooked.

Well IIRC BMC et al brew at 120% gravity and then basically add in enough water at the end to get the numbers where they like them. Come to think of it since they are taxed on every barrel made (not sold and not by ABV%) brewing a little strong and watering should save a lot of tax money. But back on point. So if you brew it with and intended 5% final (1.050 to 1.010?) You'd instead start with an OG of about 1.062 or something like that etc. This will however only save you about 15 to 20% of the water weight.

I doubt you could get it down to a syrup, heck Isopropl Alcohol (which granted isn't made from ethy alcohol, but one of the bigger ones propal alcohol maybe?) is liquid at 70%. For that matter, so is bacardi 151.

As for concentrating which is legal in certian ways (please look up details that the TTB site for specifics), I think you can get to a 20 to 30% ABV concentration, which means you've reduced the weight from 100% down to 25% or 15% (depending on the final abv) and would need to add taht water back in... in reall terms if the abv goes form 5 to 20, then the volume went from 5 gallons down to 1.25gallons, or massive weight savings. Of course freezing tends to decarbonate beer (and soda). But hey he has a carbanator for that.

In one fo Charlie Papazani's(sp?) books, he has a reciepe for a 'quarter boch'.. .basically he brews a boch style beer at about 1 to 1.5 gallons, and then dilutes it down to 5 gallons at bottling. The idea coming from the fermentation pathways of the yeast a different when in a higher sugar concentration than a lower one. Thus he was aiming for a 'light' but flavorful beer, and implies he made one. I've never tried, so I don't know myself. However I've been intrieged by the idea.

I suppose one last idea would be to pack some HME and a bottle of vodka and mix with water when you get to camp an then carbonate.

I will admit to being currious about his process.

Silly question, but if you have to carry in everything, won't you still have to carry in the water to rehydrate the beer when you get to camp?

To add, I would think that you could make a double strength batch up to 10 to 15% alc/vol depending on the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. Remember that your hops utilization would be off and would need to be adjusted. Also, if you add regular water, I have a feeling your carbonation will be screwed up too. Unless you added seltzer water to the still concentrated beer and used that for the carbonation and water content.

Silly question, but if you have to carry in everything, won't you still have to carry in the water to rehydrate the beer when you get to camp?

This depends on where you hike, but most hiking is done in areas where water (streams) is available. The amount of water a person needs for drinking in a day is fairly prohibative to carry, so usually you look to hike and base campe in an area that is close to water. Sure you have to walk 300 feet or more for it, but that beats carrying it in over 10 miles from your car to your base.

If I was against bringing spirits while hiking, I would make a 5 gallon batch of barley wine with champagne yeast (fairly neutral yeast), 2lbs of flaked oats and go heavy on the hops, then delude it and carbonate it on the trail. The more difficult option of brewing, freezing, and drawing off the alcohol will be wasted effort IMHO.
Should have asked, are you specifically looking for a beer "syrup"?

Basically, brew a barley wine. There are quite a few strains from Wyeast that can tolerate high ABVs (up to 12%) such as 1728, 1084, 1762. Even 1065 can tolerate up to 11%.

If you do a 2/1 dilution with water to beer of a 12% barley wine, you're looking at a nice, sessionable, 4% ABV.

If you want to push that further, you're either going to have to get a highly specialized yeast or, as others have mentioned, "freeze distill" your beer.

If you go the yeast route, look into White Labs WLP099 the spec sheet on it says it can tolerate up to 25%. In theory, you could dilute 1 12oz beer into about 6 beers at just over 4%.

Frankly, up until reading that website, I didn't know the problem even existed. If I wanted a beer for at camp, I just carried one. While I agree that it is probably not worth the trouble/expense, I'm still left wondering if it's possible...

I'm a little leary about the guy's carbonation solution as well. $30 for the bottle, and $.50 a piece for activator packets seems a little pricey. But if it works...

At this point, I don't plan on pursuing this any further. But I may have to research Papazian's 1/4 Bock recipe...

It is simple and has been used by Bavarian monks since immemorial times: you freeze the beer (though they just wanted something more nutritious for the lent, not syrup).

Given that water freezes at 32F and alcohol at -173 all you have to do is keep the beer long enough at a temperature between those two and then discard the ice, and to do it thoroughly I'd suggest a centrifuge. The deeper the temperature the more likely you will be to succeed and just having a syrup at the end..

This thread just blew my mind...

Will most likely never try/have it, but pretty interesting concept.
Love how the inventor pretty much spills his biggest problem right on the table.

If i put 3 packs in the same amount of liquid does that make it a Triple IPA? =D

It is simple and has been used by Bavarian monks since immemorial times: you freeze the beer (though they just wanted something more nutritious for the lent, not syrup).

Given that water freezes at 32F and alcohol at -173 all you have to do is keep the beer long enough at a temperature between those two and then discard the ice, and to do it thoroughly I'd suggest a centrifuge. The deeper the temperature the more likely you will be to succeed and just having a syrup at the end..

Nice first post.
What should also be noted is that this concentrates esters/fusels aswell.
Which if taken to far methanol might become a problem

This is getting into legal issues as well. Start the concentration of alcohols and the feds might be paying you a visit you won't like. Any concentrates that don't also concentrate the alcohol (to be legal) will be watered down near beer tea when rehydrated.

You still deal with it being flat and for us not located near ice cold mountain springs semi warm. I know I can freeze the water in my bottles but during the summer after a few hours its Luke warm.

You can drink grain alcohol, it's the best booze / weight solution, and it works for first aid and as a fire starter (or fuel for soda can stove).

Lots of cold beer = car camping, not backpacking.

How about a crisp, refreshing, glass of hard cider? I freeze concentrate hard cider all the time. The highest sugar concentration cider I ever made was two cans of concentrate in the water volume for one can. It did take quite a while as I remember, to ferment almost to the limit of the yeast I used. There are many options available when it comes to yeast. For example, if your ABV is 15%, theoretically you have 9.6 oz of 200 proof apple hooch. You aren't going to get this high of ABV concentrate, because there will always be water as a diluent. I stop collecting around a pint of liquid, and let me say even at that concentration, there is no doubt that the proof is high. For me at least, when I feel the alcohol all the way to the bottom as they say, be careful. I will say for me, I like the sweeter almost schnapps character of the double concentrated hard cider, as it is easier to drink. I can guarantee you, that shi* will kick your ass. This post is of course all theory, and in no way to be taken as instruction to produce any beverage containing alcohol that may be illegal.

If I have to rehydrate said beer concentrate with river/lake/puddle water then forget it. I'd rather just bring whiskey or lug the regular beer in.

This thread just blew my mind...

Nice first post.
What should also be noted is that this concentrates esters/fusels aswell.
Which if taken to far methanol might become a problem

Yes, you will run into some serious problems if you drink a concentrate of less than 50% of the original volume. I was thinking less along the line of drinking the concentrate as of taking the concentrate and some carbonation to mix with water again.

This is getting into legal issues as well. Start the concentration of alcohols and the feds might be paying you a visit you won't like. Any concentrates that don't also concentrate the alcohol (to be legal) will be watered down near beer tea when rehydrated.

You still deal with it being flat and for us not located near ice cold mountain springs semi warm. I know I can freeze the water in my bottles but during the summer after a few hours its Luke warm.

The Feds always have to know first that you are concentrating something. As long as you put it into your freezer and keep it to yourself good luck trying.

Now,if you cannot keep your mouth shut about your less than legal hobbies that could be a problem.

Ice/freeze concentrating at home is legal in the US, at least in most states I believe.

Up to a certain concentration, yes. I.e. Ice Beer or Ice Bock. But that would decrease the volume to carry by only 50%. Over that we are entering a grey zone where they could decide in any direction.

I saw a chart somewhere about feezing beer, and short of a better freezer, assuming about 0F for a typical fridge, the highest you can get the concentration of alcohol to is abou 30%ABV. the solution refuses to get much higher as the water doesn't freeze out.

ACbrewer said:
?.. the highest you can get the concentration of alcohol to is abou 30%ABV...

I read that the packs are 49% which make them classified and taxed as liquor. I understand they make 16oz so they would have to be 4oz packs?

Could they be just fermenting syrup to as high as they can go (15%) and then just adding ethanol to get the 49%?

Could that ever taste good?

It appears the price would be $2.40 for the concentrate and $.50 for the carbonation powder. For hard core hikers who will spend 10x for dehydrated food this is a bargain. Also quite the hero when everyone else is drinking Tang?

Tom

I read that the packs are 49% which make them classified and taxed as liquor.

Tom

well with a better freezer you could go further than about 30%. It really depends on the freezer. Tactical Nuclear Penguin or Sink the Bizmark (which ever is higher) gets up to 42% with freezing, but if you are a manufacture, getting a super freezer is always possible.

well with a better freezer you could go further than about 30%. It really depends on the freezer. Tactical Nuclear Penguin or Sink the Bizmark (which ever is higher) gets up to 42% with freezing, but if you are a manufacture, getting a super freezer is always possible.

I read that the packs are 49% which make them classified and taxed as liquor. I understand they make 16oz so they would have to be 4oz packs?

Could they be just fermenting syrup to as high as they can go (15%) and then just adding ethanol to get the 49%?

Could that ever taste good?

It appears the price would be $2.40 for the concentrate and $.50 for the carbonation powder. For hard core hikers who will spend 10x for dehydrated food this is a bargain. Also quite the hero when everyone else is drinking Tang?

Tom

The end concentration always depends on the temperature you froze it at and the time it remains frozen, the nearer you can get to the alcohol freezing point and the longer the time it stays there, the more water will be frozen and the more solids will be separated. It is really not much different from distilling, except that in distilling you remove the alcohol from the water and solids by converting it to steam, here you separate the water from the alcohol by converting it to ice.

Concentration of up to 90% are possible though much more difficult to achieve than by distilling as the mechanical separation has to be performed at sub-zero temperatures.

@Tom, I doubt that hard core hikers would want to have alcohol in their rations, that would be just another sugar sink and sugar is something you don't have to spare on a hike.

Back