Beer Fridge in Un-heated garage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an un heated garage and where I live winter temperatures can go down to -30 C (-22 F). Summer temperatures can get up to 30 C (85 F). I would like to control temperature for fermentation.

If I got a big fridge and a dual channel temp controller. Could I put some kind of heater in the fridge (e.g. a high wattage light bulb) and leave the fridge unplugged in winter to keep beer warm enough.

In summer I could plug the fridge into the temp controller.

I'll bet someone has tried something like this before.

Does it sound like my idea might work? Any advice for improving the plan?

Thanks

Depending on the light source it may not be "hop" friendly ie: the UV will cause a reaction that will make your beer "skunky". If you like it as some do it will work very well.

You could also use a heating pad or a small ceramic space heater.

i live in duluth, mn. I have a big chest freezer in an unheated shed. I built a 2 stage temp control using a cheap ebay controller. I use a small ceramic heater inside. 2 winters so far, no issues.

Thanks for the point about UV, Bad67.

Mike in Duluth, do you run the freezer in winter?

Valvefan

Incandescent light bulbs put out VERY little UV. Like almost none. Even that said, I plan to encase mine in a metal paint can on a ceramic bulb base. Or... I will just go with the ceramic reptile heater. I will control the heater and the fridge with my controller I just built this weekend. Link here
Unplugging a refrigerator or freezer and just leaving it for a while is bad for them. It would be best to actually allow the freezer to cycle once every once in a while...

Latest posts

Back