Beer for the 4th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snisleziggy

Reaction score
I just brewed a new batch yesterday. It was an English Mild Ale. I also added an extra pound of light DME though. I was wanting to brew a low OG beer so I would have some homebrew to drink on the 4th. I'll be kegging BTW. My problem is that I ended up with an OG of 1.050. Do you think it is possible for this to ferment out in 9-10 days then force carb for 2 or should I just crack my IIPA that would be about 3 weeks in bottles on the 4th?

Yeah, it is possible if you want to drink a beer that is 2-3 days old. I'd wait for this one and try your IPA and also have some back up beer on-hand in case your IPA isn't ready (which it probably won't be).

It'll be really green, and the only way to carb it up fast enough will be the "blast and shake" method...which will likely result in either over or under carb'd beer.

I'd suck it up and buy some beer for the 4th...and plan your next party's beer at least 6 weeks in advance!!

i made a mild with an even lower SG and it was at FG in 6-7 days, then i kegged and force carbed... it didn't taste good for almost 2 weeks after that... so i'd agree with what's been said above... but, there's no harm in trying it, even if it's not ready for the party, it will be in another week or so.

An English mild for the 4th? That doesn't sound right.

Wow. I just now thought about that. haha Looks like I may just go with the IIPA now, or at least sample a bottle or two. It'll be 2 weeks 6 days in the bottle. Probably too young for that heavy of a beer, but who knows. I might just like it. I think I still may take a reading on the mild just to see how things are going. (These are my first two brews so I have the newbie impatience disease.)

Latest posts

Back