Beer for Christmas Party - Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpnc9702

Reaction score
Hello All - I was asked to make a beer for my wife's office Christmas Party. They were looking for a more Christmas seasonal type beer (I've never really been a fan and I think Bells Winterfest was the only winter seasonal I really cared for). If I brewed anything or kept anything around the house more for the cooler months it would be maltier beers such as Oktoberfest from the fall or brown ales or Irish Reds etc. I know that some of these folks aren't hopheads so I working in a different category - So I want to pose the question thinking perhaps someone has been asked to do the same before and offer some ideas or if they have done this as well - I sure as heck cant suggest a christmas seasonal b/c I've never made them...sometimes the spices are just too much, but this doesn't mean there is something out there that will change my mind...this is just based upon my experience. Anyone have any ideas to share that might be helpful?

I hear ya. I think almost all spice beers are overdone.

When I get requests for one, I'll look up a recipe online. Then, I just don't add any off the spices as called for in the recipe. Instead, I ferment it out. Once done, I make up a spice tea by boiling the spices in a cup of water. I add a tablespoon at a time to the finished beer until I get a subtle spice level that isn't overpowering. Then, I add a little more because I know everyone likes it more pronounced then I do.

Something like this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/great-lakes-christmas-ale-clone-218147/

I've made a Christmas Caramel in the past that went over well. Basically some of each Caramel/Crystal you can get your hands on. It had a nice malt backbone with a rich toffee/caramel flavor that worked great on a cool night. Like Homercidal said, you'll likely want it a bit of alcohol heat so it doesn't just taste like sweet wort. Mine I could have mashed a bit cooler or chosen a higher attenuating yeast.

I think a Dubbel is a great Holiday beer, but I would want more time than you have to age it out...

I am a huge fan of the Sierra Nevada holiday beers.

Also not a fan of 'spiced' beers.
You could just do another Irish Red and call it "Christmas Red".
Or maybe add a little cinnamon to 1/2 of the batch. Just for those who are expecting some spice.

I am not a fan of most spiced beers as I think they are easily overdone. Some people like that, but for a party, where you can't know ahead of time, it's best to keep the flavors subtle.

For me, a beer that is spiced too much may be an interesting diversion, but I would not want a full glass of it. To each their own. Some people who don't like "beer" may actually find a spiced beer to be pleasant. They are usually hopped less and are less bitter.

these are all great insights - I appreciate everyones responses - I only have a little over 3 weeks to get this ready to serve so I need to keep the OG down, which is fine since heavier beers sneak up on you fast and always seem to take longer to mellow out. My experience and also from what I have read and got from others is that the high gravity beers will take a few weeks or months to mellow out, but the session beers can be turned over more quickly - and of course ideal given that I just got a request for this - no other option at this point.....regardless looks like you can still get a really nice beer that will please a lot of folks without overwhelming the pallet.

Back