Beer Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggyboiler

Reaction score
I did a batch of Zombie Dust clone last Saturday the 18th. I looked today and I got some initial reaction from the yeast, but I think it should have been a lot more. I haven't seen any bubbles really. I'm wondering if my yeast was bad. I used WLP002 yeast.

I have pic of the beer I opened and looked at tonight
beerfer.JPG

So could I buy some new yeast and overnight it to me and pinch again? Or should I?

Looks good. There was more. It rose to the top of the krausen ring, probably stayed there for a couple days, and then fell out.

Airlock activity isn't the best indication of fermentation. Airlocks can bubble like crazy for a couple days then completely stop, all while fermentation could still be going strong. Chances are, if you didn't see any bubbles, your bucket isn't airtight somewhere.

As mrgrimm said earlier, your bucket seems to be leaking air somewhere. From my experience I would suggest using a glass-carboy!

There's still some foam on the top of the beer- it may still be fermenting, or it might just be offgassing a bit. A hydrometer is the best way to know.

From my experience I would suggest using a glass-carboy!

It's probably best to just learn how to properly seal the bucket. For many, this is almost a religious argument, but I have to say that the consequences of dropping or otherwise mistreating a glass carboy outweigh nearly all benefits.

The only reason I don't regret my initial glass purchases 100% is that I use them to bulk age, and they retain some value to me in that capacity. That said, I doubt I'll ever replace them if they break - one breakage was enough to turn me off to the glass idea permanently.

It's probably best to just learn how to properly seal the bucket. For many, this is almost a religious argument, but I have to say that the consequences of dropping or otherwise mistreating a glass carboy outweigh nearly all benefits.

The only reason I don't regret my initial glass purchases 100% is that I use them to bulk age, and they retain some value to me in that capacity. That said, I doubt I'll ever replace them if they break - one breakage was enough to turn me off to the glass idea permanently.

Ah okay! ;) I'll buy a fermentation bucket to further ciders and do beers in the carboy!

Ah okay! ;) I'll buy a fermentation bucket to further ciders and do beers in the carboy!

I'd definitely do the reverse- beers don't spend much time in the fermenter and so a bucket is fine. Ciders can spend a long time in the fermenter, until they clear, and you don't want headspace once fermentation slows/stops.

I'd definitely do the reverse- beers don't spend much time in the fermenter and so a bucket is fine. Ciders can spend a long time in the fermenter, until they clear, and you don't want headspace once fermentation slows/stops.

Hmm, The only cider I make so far is with elderflowers and they are a MESS getting out of the small hole in a glass carboy! What I'm going to do is to keep it in a bucket during primary with the flowers, But during secondary I will keep it in glass without them!

How does that sound?

Hmm, The only cider I make so far is with elderflowers and they are a MESS getting out of the small hole in a glass carboy! What I'm going to do is to keep it in a bucket during primary with the flowers, But during secondary I will keep it in glass without them!

How does that sound?

Primary all ciders/wines/meads in a bucket, and then rack to a carboy once fermentation slows, at about 1.010 or so.

I remove my fruit/flowers/whatever on about day 5 and rack to secondary then, to avoid oxidation and allow the wine/cider/mead to finish there with very little headspace.

Primary all ciders/wines/meads in a bucket, and then rack to a carboy once fermentation slows, at about 1.010 or so.

I remove my fruit/flowers/whatever on about day 5 and rack to secondary then, to avoid oxidation and allow the wine/cider/mead to finish there with very little headspace.

Sounds like a great idea! Thank you!

Back