Beer Draft - A new approach to the traditional beer swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrywise

Reaction score
Like all of you I have a fondness for trying new beers. I would consider myself far from a beer snob as I’ve had more than my share of macro beers but I do enjoy a good high quality beer any chance I get. It was with that desire to try new beers that I launched the idea of a “beer draft” onto my coworkers.

I took the idea of a standard beer swap and combined it with the idea of a fantasy football draft. Instead of everyone showing up and taking home the same mixed twelve pack they play an active role in “drafting” the beers they get to take home. It would work well with friends, coworkers or homebrew clubs.

This is what I send out inviting people:

The scoop: Everyone who takes part must purchase 12 great bottles of beer. They do not all need to be the same, in fact variety adds to the event. What they do need to be is great. Not sure what great is? I highly recommend using Beer Advocate to check the reviews of a beer you plan to bring.

Example One: Toppling Goliath PseudoSue, rated 100/100 - world class
Example Two: Coors Banquet, rated 64/100 - poor​

Now you may very well love Coors Banquet, heck I’ve had more than my share while mowing the lawn and it has its time and place. I’m not here to say it is a bad beer it just doesn’t quite fit into what this event is about.

How does it work? Everyone purchases 12 good to great bottles of beer. Two days or more, prior to the event you enter the names of the beers you plan to bring into the shared spreadsheet. The list will be available to anyone who is participating to allow time to research the beer prior to the event.

Names will be drawn from a hat to decide the order. We will be using what is called a snake draft order. Meaning the owner who picks 1st in the odd rounds picks last in the even rounds, in the interests of fairness.

During the actual event I have the google doc displayed on a projection screen. As people draft their beers I log the pick in the Google doc and it automatically adds the beer to their "team".

I thought others might also be interested in hosting something like this so I’m making my google sheet available to all. Click the following link and then choose to file>make a copy to save it to your Google account. The beers are entered on the "overall ranking" tab and then automatically distributed to the other tabs. During the draft each beer is selected from the dropdown menu on the "actual drat results" tab.

I have entered a few sample beers just for examples so you can play around with it.

Feel free to let me know what you think!

Click here to access the Google Doc

beerdraft01_zpsvz6lfbcf.jpg

beerdraft04_zpsxurhilxk.jpg

beerdraft02_zps4l7rlzab.jpg

beerdraf03_zpscgzj3n7e.jpg

Sounds fun!

I wonder if an order that was affected by the number of bottles you have had taken would work as well? Kind of a reward for bring the most popular beer!

Sounds fun!

I wonder if an order that was affected by the number of bottles you have had taken would work as well? Kind of a reward for bring the most popular beer!

Very cool idea.

Record the order the beers are drafted. If you have 40 beers total; the first draft gets 40 points, second gets 39, last gets 1. Agree on a coveted, rare, " prize beer for the winner with the most points, or top 3. Or maybe the winner gets automatic first pick for the next draft. Can't draft your own beer though!!

Very cool idea.

Record the order the beers are drafted. If you have 40 beers total; the first draft gets 40 points, second gets 39, last gets 1. Agree on a coveted, rare, " prize beer for the winner with the most points, or top 3. Or maybe the winner gets automatic first pick for the next draft. Can't draft your own beer though!!

Yes... I quoted myself. I'm not proud of it.

Base it around a rare beer release and give that as a prize.

Back