Beer dough alcohol content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaMig21

Reaction score
Hi,

I am sorry if this topic was covered, but I havent found anything in the search.

So, I started brewing this spring and I just found a couple of bottles of beer from my 2nd batch. I didnt have my bottling sorted back then, so these last few bottles were 1/3 filled with sediment, mostly yeast.

I figured I would try making pizza dough with it, so they went to my mixer instead of water.

Dough seems OK, but I was wondering about alcohol content, before I feed my little kid with it :) Does the alcohol stay in dough or does it evaporate? I am rising the dough for a couple of hours then let it sit in fridge for a day or two before rising it again and finally baking it.

Alcohol actually doesn't cook out, at least not nearly as much as you'd think.

According to some studies, if the alcohol is stirred into the mixture and baked for 15 minutes (that sounds like most applicable scenario for your pizza dough) 40% of the alcohol was retained.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/AlcoholCooking.htm

So you can calculate it out. If you use 1 bottle of beer in enough dough to make 8 slices of pizza, and your kid has 1 slice, he's had the equivalent of 5% of a bottle of beer, or 0.6 fluid ounces. Not really anything I'd worry about, but it's up to you.

Brace yourself for a bit of a shock. When bread or pizza dough is made yeast is added. The yeast produce alcohol and carbon dioxide just as they do in your beer. The CO2 makes the bread/dough rise. The alcohol stays in and some is driven out by baking. I would have thought it would be more but I guess not.

Brace yourself for a bit of a shock. When bread or pizza dough is made yeast is added. The yeast produce alcohol and carbon dioxide just as they do in your beer. The CO2 makes the bread/dough rise. The alcohol stays in and some is driven out by baking. I would have thought it would be more but I guess not.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D:D:D:D
No wonder I love bread so much!

Thanks for this info. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

Just one tip. If you are making pizza dough with beer, make sure its not a heavily hopped IPA :) Bitter pizza isn't nearly as nice as a pint of beer :)

Back