Beer coming out of airlock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheeseboy51

Reaction score
So I made a batch of beer and the beer is coming out of the airlock. I don't have a blow off tube, what I was going to do was wait till it slows down and put a new clean airlock on...or is the something better to do?

Thanks
Alex

Happened to me once. I scored a free fridge and turned it a fermentation chamber. The first batch I put in there a porter that spewed some beer out of the airlock and all over the walls of my new ferm chamber. :mad: Anyway I just threw a new clean and sanitized airlock on there. No problem, beer came out great.

-ben

What masonjax said... I use 5/16 ID tubing as that fits perfectly inside the airlock hole in my drilled bung and run it over to a jug half-filled with sanitizer.

So I made a batch of beer and the beer is coming out of the airlock. I don't have a blow off tube, what I was going to do was wait till it slows down and put a new clean airlock on...or is the something better to do?

Thanks
Alex

If it isn't possible to rig up a blow off tube, loosen the bung holding the airlock. If the airlock clogs it will just be pushed out. No krausen will end up on the ceiling. As long as krausen is being forced out it is not to likely that stuff will get in. When the fermentation slows a bit replace the airlock after wiping the fermentor mouth with Starsan.

Back