Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
OK, this isn't a question. Just a suggestion. I needed bottles. Posted an ad on Craigslist. Guy is selling my 4 cases of Sierra Nevada bottles for $10 (I assume what he would get for the deposit)

So if you need bottles craigslist is your friend.

How about making friends with your local bartender. I have found they are very eager to save bottles for me in exchange for some homebrew.

CL is indeed the way to go.

I'm not convinced about that. If the bottles have the labels removed and are clean it can be but bottles don't cost very much per batch since they are nearly infinitely reusable. True, you have an up-front cost but I'd much rather pay that than clean up bottles that haven't been cleaned properly and stored clean. I just threw out a 6-pack of my own bottles that I had given samples in to a neighbor since they came back with algae in them since he (probably his wife) had set them outside where rainwater got into them. They weren't worth the effort to clean since I can buy that many new ones for $3.

Good idea using craigslist.

If there is a bottle deposit in your state, you might be able to get cases of them from the local liquor store for the deposit price. You can select the desired size and shape, long necks, short Sierra Nevada, 22 oz, whatever. I am on the lookout for those little kegs. They have a 5 cent deposit in MA.

Lots of good options have been mentioned. Just inspect inside the bottoms of the bottles (especially any you have to pay for) very carefully. If they weren't rinsed out after used, the layer of funk in the bottom can be nearly impossible to get rid of. Those are not useable unless you want to infect your beer.

I just save the bottles I get when I buy commercial beer. I normally bottle into bombers, so those are the primary ones I save, but I keep a 12-pack or so worth of 12-ozers around for the extra, and I generally bottle a couple of those to use as testers.

I just went to a local pub, we have a deposit in Oregon, but a few miles away in Washington they don't and bottles can be had for nothing by the case.

I just went to a local pub, we have a deposit in Oregon, but a few miles away in Washington they don't and bottles can be had for nothing by the case.

What part of Oregon, I'm in Southeast Washington and have enough bottles to share

What part of Oregon, I'm in Southeast Washington and have enough bottles to share

I'm here in Portland, little far to drive and I manage rotating on the ten cases I have. I might be working out there for a week just in case someone here needs any, I could shuttle them.

I was told our beer store/redemption center will sell for the $.05 deposit per bottle. I have a ton of 12oz, but looking for the 22oz Sam Adams bottles & the banana bread/chocolate stout bottles...

Also I had some pretty funky bottles I used boiling water & oxy clean, it took care of business.

RM-MN said:
I'm not convinced about that. If the bottles have the labels removed and are clean it can be but bottles don't cost very much per batch since they are nearly infinitely reusable. True, you have an up-front cost but I'd much rather pay that than clean up bottles that haven't been cleaned properly and stored clean. I just threw out a 6-pack of my own bottles that I had given samples in to a neighbor since they came back with algae in them since he (probably his wife) had set them outside where rainwater got into them. They weren't worth the effort to clean since I can buy that many new ones for $3.
True but I was speaking of label free bottles as well. Find the guy who just got into kegging and you're set.

Back