Beefing up Muton's Nut Brown Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccreel67

Reaction score
I'm attempting to convert my pals away from extract brewing. At least, to the extent of adding specialty grains and partial mashes to their extracts.

We have 3.5 lbs of Muton's Nut Brown Extract, I'm thinking of adding 1/2 lb roasted barley, 1/4 lb crystal and 1/4 of oatmeal to beef up this extract.

I'd also hop with 1 oz fuggles for boil and and .5 oz fuggles at the end of the boil.

I'm not sure these are enough additions and I could probably come up with a partial mash that would be better. I'll work on ideas today but what do you guys think?

Thanks, C C

Flaked oats would give a nice contribution to mouthfeel. Experimenting with a little roasted barley and/or different grades of crystal can also impart some different flavors. Those grains would only need to be steeped and not mashed, but at least it would get your buddies to start thinking outside the constraints of the kit.

Back