Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to hijack the thread, but make sure to lager for awhile. There's a big difference between the 1st month and the 2nd month.

Hi
I measured the gravity after a week and was down to 1.010
Since I was going away for 2 weeks and it was getting a bit warm, I decided to keg after one week. I have it at 4C (39F) and will leave it there in secondary for 2 weeks. Then I plan to start carbonating. So it should be lagering at least 4 weeks. Will be interesting to taste the difference then until 8 weeks!

Did a quick search and didn't find anything...I'm brewing this this weekend, love EdWort's simple and delicious recipes.

I've got more boil capacity now, so I've started doing 6.5Gal batches and experimenting with 1Gal of beer just for fun.

Anyone have any thoughts on dry hopping a small batch with something like Nelson Sauvin or Nugget or Cascade?

atimmerman88 said:
Did a quick search and didn't find anything...I'm brewing this this weekend, love EdWort's simple and delicious recipes.

I've got more boil capacity now, so I've started doing 6.5Gal batches and experimenting with 1Gal of beer just for fun.

Anyone have any thoughts on dry hopping a small batch with something like Nelson Sauvin or Nugget or Cascade?

Yeah, why do you want to dry hop a kolsch? The hops used for a kolsch are typically on the lower side of AA%. There aren't a whole lot of hops used either. I would skip dry hopping and save.it for you IPAs.

Why do I want to try? idk, just for fun to see what it'd be like. I've got a freezer full so I figured tossing 1/2 oz into 1Gal wouldn't be the end of the world

Why do I want to try? idk, just for fun to see what it'd be like. I've got a freezer full so I figured tossing 1/2 oz into 1Gal wouldn't be the end of the world

My 1 gal side project of EdWorts Kolsch is ready for something.

Anyone wanna offer a suggestion?

Fruit? Strawberries or Blueberries?

Dry Hop?? 1/2oz Nelson Sauvin or 1/2 Cascade? or target or nugget?

atimmerman88 said:
My 1 gal side project of EdWorts Kolsch is ready for something.

Anyone wanna offer a suggestion?

Fruit? Strawberries or Blueberries?

Dry Hop?? 1/2oz Nelson Sauvin or 1/2 Cascade? or target or nugget?

Do whatever you want, it's your beer.

atimmerman88 said:
and I did. tossed in 1/2 oz of nelson sauvin into 1 gallon. We'll see how it tastes.

I'm sure it will taste. You added a 1/2 oz for a one gallon...and Nelson Sauvin nonetheless. Good luck with it.

I've had thoughts about how dry hopping a Kolsch would come out, too. I am interested to hear how it goes, atimmerman88.

1/2 oz for a 1 gallon = 2.5 oz for a 5 gallon batch. I don't think that is too abnormal for this forum.

Keep us posted.

I'll let you know in a few weeks. hydro samples at bottling were noticeably different but we'll see how if fades, changes with carbonation

JoesInBoston said:
I've had thoughts about how dry hopping a Kolsch would come out, too. I am interested to hear how it goes, atimmerman88.

1/2 oz for a 1 gallon = 2.5 oz for a 5 gallon batch. I don't think that is too abnormal for this forum.

Keep us posted.

This isn't an ipa forum. I would say it's abnormal for this forum, a kolsch forum.

This was my first run for my newly-built cooler mash tun. I had a wee bit of an efficiency problem, with the OG coming out at 1.044. I hit my temps spot-on and my dead space test only left 1.5 cups of water, so I am not sure exactly what went wrong. I also managed to dump all of the sediment into the fermenter when my strainer fell into the fermenter. Haha... not a perfect brewing session to say the least.

Should I boil some honey water or something to add to up the gravity, or just leave it be?

I'm really excited for this even if it's going to be a bit hoppy for the gravity!

I can report good results without using a starter when pitching Wyeast 2565, although my original gravity came in low.

9 days from 1.044 to 1.010 @ 60F for six days, 66F for three days.

I'm really excited for this beer!

marinosr said:
I can report good results without using a starter when pitching Wyeast 2565, although my original gravity came in low.

9 days from 1.044 to 1.010 @ 60F for six days, 66F for three days.

I'm really excited for this beer!

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. I would make sure you.lager it. 2565 usually takes a.while to clear out.

Hot diggity damn.

I got sent out of state for work and let this beer lager for 3 months, I just cracked an experimental bottle (2 weeks carbonating, 1 day in fridge) and it's totally delicious. Really looking forward to trying it with another week of conditioning!

I'm finishing up the last bottles of this brew. Crisp and fruity and just awesome. Just thought I'd throw in another vote for this beer.

Has anyone else noticed the slightest rose tinge to the color of the beer?

Ed, I wanted to give credit where credit's due. I scored 3rd place at the Dixie Cup in Houston with a close rendition of this recipe. Looking forward to seeing the score sheets! Thanks for a great recipe!

Hey Ed, I have to thank you for a great recipe. I made this exact recipe and I could not be happier with it. What a great beer! This will be a regular on my taps.

Making this tomorrow morning...only using some Cascade hops to change it up a bit...so it'll no longer be a Kolsch..but it'll still be delicious.

Just ordered some Pils malt to give this a try--haven't done any Kolsh this season but it always got drank up pretty fast around here SWMBO drinks it down--we drink alotta wheat's around here anyways

Boiled this beer yesterday & gonna do another batch as soon as I can harvest some yeast--easy batch to do

Looks good, Thanks for the recipe

I just wanted to point out that the recipe says boil time 60 minutes, then in the description you say to boil for 90.
Also, With a 90 minute boil my mash calculator is calling for a 6 gallon sparge for a 5.5 gallon batch, which seems maybe a little extreme?

Beeru, I saw the same thing but reading through the thread it mentions a 90min boil with Pils, so that's what I am planning to do. Got this one queued up for next weekend, hope to be drinking it when the snow melts and temps warm up down here in the ATL. Just about drained my keg of Golden Trippel during the snow days! Thanks for the recipe!

Cheers!

Yeah, I eventually saw the 90min boil comment as well.
I just bottled this, and while the sample tasted a little sweet to me (even though my FG is 1.006), I think it will be quite good once carbonated.

I kegged a batch of this Thursday and it tasted really good--have another bag of grain ready to boil this week don't think I have anymore Perle left what's a good substitute?

Just pulled a glass of this off the tap been on the CO2 for 11 days--very tastie-boiled another batch on Monday--this will be an awesome summer time beer will be brewing more for sure

I just cracked the first of a batch, and I found it not dry at all. Actually, almost sickly sweet. I followed the recipe directly, and the gravity was below 1.01when I bottled, so I don't know how it is so different than the description.

2nd batch in a Pubkeg have enough grain for one more batch haven't boiled yet this week need to get it done before the weekend--the first can lasted less than 12 hrs. this is a good beer

Kolsch is a beer where the yeast defines the style - this malt bill with 001 will be more like a blond ale, or cream ale or the like. It will be a fine beer, but not a kolsch

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Went to the store and got everything but the Pearle....dammit.

Made a converted to extract version of this to have in case I needed extra for St. Patrick's Day. (I did) The beer had only been in bottles for 12 days, and chilled for 2, but it was fully carbed and tasted great! A bit green, but great! A bit of aging will probably make it superb. Everyone dug it. Sometimes simpler is better.

Anybody have problems with this being cloudy??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Back