American IPA Bee Cave Brewery IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to give this a shot using DME in place of the grain. Was planning to keep everything else the same. Full boil for 5.5 gal batch. Using the recommended 6.6 lb of DME from page 2, things come out differently in Beersmith. Why is that? If there is a known conversion from AG to DME how come it never works out right in the software?

Beersmith reports:

OG 1.054
FG 1.014
SRM 11.4
IBU 70.6
ABV 5.22%

What should I adjust to get closer to the original recipe?

I brewed using this grain bill but used amirillo cimcoe and cascade l..and bumped up the quantity............. ....1oz amarillo 60 min
1oz simcoe 60min
1oz simcoe 15 min
1oz cascade 10 min
1oz amarillo fo
1oz cascade fo
2oz cascade 7 days dry hop
I know this strongly deviates from the hop bill but let me tell you it is delicious!! im stoked the color is beautiful dark apricot and the hops have an earthy piney and resinous quality ..not catty or too fruity ....mann good stuff thanks all.!!

so, you cold crash and keg, but yet after its in the keg in warms up to room temp for 10 days. This temperature change won't affect flavor at all?

I cold crash to help the yeast flocculate out, then the room temp for 10 days just helps condition the beer. It does make a difference. Just ask BierMuncher.

Ed, I too live in Austin and was wondering if you are doing anything to your water ? Are you just using tap water to brew this ? I may give this recipe a try this weekend.

Thanks !

Ed, I too live in Austin and was wondering if you are doing anything to your water ? Are you just using tap water to brew this ? I may give this recipe a try this weekend.

I have LCRA water and I use a Culligan RV water filter for my water. I add Five Star's 5.2 Buffer for my mash, but that's it. Nothing else.

I brewed this on 7-17-2011 and bottled it 8-28-2011. I tried it this past weekend thinking it would still be undercarbed and needing much more time. It was absolutely delicious, and will only get better I'm sure after a few more weeks in the bottle. This is the best beer I've made, and is an outstanding IPA. I'm physched! I'm thinking of brewing it again asap just to keep it in the pipeline.

Ed. Thanks for posting this recipe. Did it to the T and man was it good. This is going to be one of my new favorites in my rotation!!

I brewed a variation of this on Labor Day (poor grain inventory management, so I adjusted)

10# 2-row
1# wheat
1# munich
.6# 20L
Same hop schedule

I know the color will be lighter, but what can I expect in terms of taste?

I'm brewing this again tomorrow morning. In the past I just used whatever AA hops I had. Since this has become my favorite beer I want to be able to repeat it every time so I need to get the hop numbers right to get to 80 IBU's. My warrior hops are 16.7 and my centennials are 10.3. I only have 1 oz. of warrior and 3 of the centennials. I have an ounce of cascades at 7.4 that I could use to bump up the numbers to try to get to 80 IBU's. Should I split the cascades up evenly across the 60m, 15m and 5m additions to do this?

Love this recepie. Had to make some mods though. My LHBS didnt have warrior so I substituted Columbus and added another oz of centinnel and adjusted my hop schedule as follows. 1 oz columbus at 90 1 oz centinnel at 60, 10, and flameout (1oz centinnel dry hop). Best beer I have made to date. Thanks for sharing the receipie.

Made this beer today...

Screwed something up in the mash badly.. Measured as it went into the carboys..

1.042 @70 degrees... This is gonna be 10G of some seriously bitter light ale..

I might have to mix it glass by glass with something else to drink it...

Anyways.. I'll figure out what I did wrong with mash.. and try again in the near future...

I suspect my temp was too low on the sparge...

Oh well, at least I get to test out my new Fermentation Chamber!

I'm not sure what kind of beer this is gonna be, but at least it will be beer!

I rinsed out the baster I was using to extract the sample in star-san between each time I stuck it down into the wort to take a sample.. I had to dip it four or five times, to get enough.. There is a possibility that some star-san solution was left in the baster each time, which would definitely skew the readings..

The wort did not look or smell that lite when it was in the collection buckets or in the keggle before the boil...

So, I can 'hope'.. I just had a diluted sample...

Well, I think I know the problem.. I screwed up the recipe in the software...

Is there anything I can add to the ferment to bump up the gravity? Can DME be added? Maybe some corn sugar or corn syrup?

Naw.. That ain't it.. too big a drop off... Either the sample was diluted, or the efficiency was way low.. or some of both..

I guess I'll just wait and see, and if it's undrinkable, I'll have to make something 'strong' to blend with it...

Dang, I needed a quick beer, and now it might be a long one.. and my carboys are now in use...

Oh well, at least the fermentation chamber is rockin'

I brewed this a few weeks back. I used Amarillo instead of Centennials and Wyeast 1332 northwest ale yeast. It is in the keg carbing up right now. The sample I took was awesome!! This could possibly be the best beer I have ever brewed.

Has anyone tried to enter this into Brewtarget? It says to use less hops and that my IBUs are still at ~120!

My hop bill looks like this:
Warrior - 16%
Centennial for boil - 8.1%
Centennial for dry hop - 10.3%

Should I take the software suggestion and do less hops? It calls for .9oz of each hop...

This is the one beer on HBT that I have brewed more then once. Such a quick and simple brew that comes out awesome each time! You cant go wrong with any of Ed's recipes

Has anyone tried to enter this into Brewtarget? It says to use less hops and that my IBUs are still at ~120!

My hop bill looks like this:
Warrior - 16%
Centennial for boil - 8.1%
Centennial for dry hop - 10.3%

Should I take the software suggestion and do less hops? It calls for .9oz of each hop...

You will note that the recipe in the OP does not state AA% for the hops. Your Warrior at 16% is crazy strong. You could probably go 1/2 oz to get it at the 80 IBUs spec'd.

You will note that the recipe in the OP does not state AA% for the hops. Your Warrior at 16% is crazy strong. You could probably go 1/2 oz to get it at the 80 IBUs spec'd.

Well it's all done with now. I brewed it last night. It was pretty hoppy but hard to tell what it will taste like once it gets a bit dryer after the fermentation. Wish me luck I guess.

What AA%s have other people been using?

america said:
Well it's all done with now. I brewed it last night. It was pretty hoppy but hard to tell what it will taste like once it gets a bit dryer after the fermentation. Wish me luck I guess.

What AA%s have other people been using?

I just tapped a keg of this today. It was the first time I brewed this recipe. It is delicious! I used 1oz of 16.7% warrior hops and 9.3% amarillos for the rest. I also used Wyeast 1332. Brewsmith put my ibus around 100. Warrior hops produce a very pleasant bitter.

I just tapped a keg of this today. It was the first time I brewed this recipe. It is delicious! I used 1oz of 16.7% warrior hops and 9.3% amarillos for the rest. I also used Wyeast 1332. Brewsmith put my ibus around 100. Warrior hops produce a very pleasant bitter.

I used 1056, but a NW ale yeast sounds like a great idea too, i'll have to see if my LHBS carries it. Have you brewed any other beers with it? I'm from the westcoast so I can handle my hops I just didn't want it to taste like you were drinking one, ya know?

america said:
I used 1056, but a NW ale yeast sounds like a great idea too, i'll have to see if my LHBS carries it. Have you brewed any other beers with it? I'm from the westcoast so I can handle my hops I just didn't want it to taste like you were drinking one, ya know?

This was the first time i used that yeast. It is a monster! It kept chugging away for over two weeks.

Gonna brew this, this weekend. Very impressed with your pale ale, can't wait to try this!

Brewed this a few weeks ago as my first all-grain.. and man it came out great! Thanks for the awesome, simple recipe.

My OG was a little high as I boiled off more than I anticipated. OG was 1.070 and was still able to get it down to 1.015 in two weeks. Awesome beer!

Took a reading the other day, and it's still fermenting. Brewed Nov 4, and is down to 1.020 with a ways to go still. Fermented it kind of cool, but there was always action.

Anyway, the taste of this is absolutely incredible, and this is without the dry hops. Gonna blow my mind in a month when it's ready - I can hardly wait.

Do you cold crash prior to dry hopping because you dry hop in the keg?

I am going to bottle and was going to bring it to room temp for 10 days and dry hop at the same time, then cold crash for a couple days and bottle.

Do you cold crash prior to dry hopping because you dry hop in the keg?

I am going to bottle and was going to bring it to room temp for 10 days and dry hop at the same time, then cold crash for a couple days and bottle.

Exactly what I'm doing. Just dry-hopped last night @ room temp and 1.014, will let that sit for 5-7 days, then move to cold cellar for as long as I can stand to not bottle it.

My LHBS has Weyerman Light Munich, Weyerman Dark Munich, and Dingeman's Munich. This recipe just calls for "1 pound munich". Which should I get?

BetterSense said:
My LHBS has Weyerman Light Munich, Weyerman Dark Munich, and Dingeman's Munich. This recipe just calls for "1 pound munich". Which should I get?

Dingemanns or weyermann light

After being in the bottle for 7 days, I tried one. Fantastic. I used 1oz warrior (60), 1oz columbus (15), 1oz columbus (5), and 1oz cascade for dry hopping.

OG was 1.060, FG 1.014, 6%abv using S05.

Will be making this one again soon, but I'll try different hops for the 15 and 5 min. additions.

This is a great beer. Going to be a huge success at Christmas/New Years parties.

Used this recipe for my first all-grain last night. I believe it went pretty well considering I overshot my pre-boil & post-boil volume, 8 gallons and 6 gallons. But I did measure an OG of 1.058, which, if Beersmith is correct, is 75% efficiency I believe? The ABV's will be a little on the low side but I'm sure it will still be drinkable :drunk: Thanks!

I brewed a partial mash version of this in October. I kept the hop schedule as is. I tapped the keg over the weekend. Wow! This beer is awesome! I love it, and love that it's such a simple recipe.

I may try subbing the Centennials with Amarillos, or adding another ounce at flameout. Either way this recipe is going to be a regular.

IPA.jpg

Edwort, thanks so much for this one. Brewed this on November 4th, and it's great! It's the best head I've had on my beer yet. Will definitely do another batch. I'm thinking I might go down to the brew-your-own place and use their equipment for a 15-gallon batch, it's that good.

2chtlhu.jpg

Edwort, thanks so much for this one. Brewed this on November 4th, and it's great! It's the best head I've had on my beer yet. Will definitely do another batch. I'm thinking I might go down to the brew-your-own place and use their equipment for a 15-gallon batch, it's that good.

2chtlhu.jpg

Looks tasty! Great job!

I have 15 gallons waiting to be kegged and dry hopped. My injured elbow could not have happened at a worst time. :(

Just tapped the keg that had been dry hopped for 10 days. a bit sweet for me, but everyone else can't get enough of it! Your rye ipa is next to the keg....

EdWort said:
It should be dry. What was your F.G. on it?

I don't remember. By sweet to me, I mean if I'm not puckering from too many IBUs its not a real ipa lol. Everyone else loves it tho.

ED I would like to thank you for your great recipes. I have made your Haus pale ale twice and apfelwine three times. Your simple but tasty recipes have
been my first dive into all grain. Next is going to be this I.P.A. Thanks for taking the scare out of all grain.:mug:

Back