American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing this recipe as my first "getting back into brewing" brew. I've got a new system and I haven't brewed in years. I'll be brewing this recipe shortly.

To give myself something to compare to, what commercial beer does this recipe taste most like ?

The first that comes to mind is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Not a clone, but very similar

My 2nd try and this recipe followed the recipe exactly, except for using US-05 yeast instead of Nottingham and added 1oz of Cascade for dry hop.

Came out delicious and also, one of the clearest beers I've made so far. Even Gary Coleman says it's clear!

IMAG1196.jpg

Great recipe. Brewed it two weeks ago, but tried something different on the sparging which resulted in a very poor efficiency (56%). Used US-05 and even with the poor efficiency and over attenuation (91.8%), it is a very good beer. Going to make a new batch and stick to my normal continuous sparging method. At this stage it tastes like a beer I will have to ensure I always have in stock.

Ok so I made this beer last year and to my surprise I actually enjoyed it. I am not normally an IPA or APA fan but this one was delicious. I would like to make this again but go for a slightly different taste. I would like to add a tropical fruitiness to the flavor. What hops and hops schedule might you suggest to anyone that is seeing this?

Anyone ever try this recipe but with all citra or all mosaic? with or without adjusting to keep ibu's in line

Drinking this now. It was my first attempt at all-grain beer. It's only 18 days old, and I know I'm supposed to wait and let it age. I couldn't wait...

I followed the recipe exactly. No changes, no substitutions.

What a delicious beer!

I think Ed hit his goal for a quaffable, inexpensive and tasty, easy drinker. I will definitely be making this again, hopefully I will be able to keep my hands off of this batch until it matures(no possible way that will happen).

I would recommend this beer to anyone looking for a summer thirst quencher! Thanks, Ed!!!

I made this about 1.5 months ago and it is really hitting it's stride now. first week in the keg it was good, but the flavor has improved a lot after a month.

Definitely one of the better brews I have made to date and will likely become a staple!

I want to do this recipe as my first all-grain, as a BIAB.

Can I ask what efficiency the original recipe is written for? I'd like to scale in Beersmith for a guestimated 70% efficiency with my first BIAB attempt.

I want to do this recipe as my first all-grain, as a BIAB.

Can I ask what efficiency the original recipe is written for? I'd like to scale in Beersmith for a guestimated 70% efficiency with my first BIAB attempt.

75%, in the OP.

Used this as my first 10 gallon batch. In my first 5 gallon BIAB I had low efficiency(60%). So I learned how to add DME after the fact to get that one's OG up... not ideal.

After that I did some research. Adjusted the crush finer (LHBS lets me do that myself), and fixed mash ph. Been getting 80% since then. I also didn't squeeze the bag much this time, as a trial. Just let it hang over pot to drain until after boil started.

This one was 86.1 Mash Efficiency and 75% brewhouse.

I also figured out this time that 20lbs of grain for 11g batch size is about my max in my 17 gallon kettle :)

View attachment 1498217456427.jpg

As I'm preparing to order my ingredients for this,my go-to online source seems to have no Cascade hops currently, nor does the tiny local HBS here.... o_O

Any recommendations on a good substitute for the hops?

As I'm preparing to order my ingredients for this,my go-to online source seems to have no Cascade hops currently, nor does the tiny local HBS here.... o_O

Any recommendations on a good substitute for the hops?

And as a pre-emptive follow-up, for subsitutes suggested, if someone could recommend if I should change the amount called for, I'd appreciate it. (ie. if a replacement should be used in smaller amounts due to increased bitterness, etc)

Any 6% ish hops will work. Willamette is my go-to, but East Kent Goldings might be better for the last addition. Those aren't quite the same but better :)

If you're close to his 6.6%, then you can keep the 60 minutes addition the same.

Kegged and quick Carb'd 5 of 10 gallons yesterday(5 days total in primary). I normally don't like to quick carb, but sometimes you need more beer quick :)

I'm amazes at how good this is with all the cheats I mentioned above to get it ready quick.
Wow, great work Ed! Cant wait to see how it is after a few weeks go by.

I ended up making this, my first all-grain (BIAB) on Sunday.

Managed to find all the ingredients needed, scaled the recipe to 3.5 gallons in Beersmith, and I think it went great!

I hit all the gravity and volume's pretty much spot on, and as of yesterday (about a day after pitching) it was bubbling away like crazy, and still doing so this morning.

Only hiccup on brew-day was in the mash... I'd planned on putting the kettle in the oven to help hold the temperature, but I was doing it at a friends place and realized his oven was too small.

So I just kept it on the stove top, and monitored, turned the heat on a bit and stirred a few times when I saw the temp drop more than a couple degrees.

Near the end of the mash I overshot the heat and got up to 160 (mashing at 152)

Fortunately (I think), this was with about 15 minutes left in the mash, so likely most, if not all, of the conversion was already done.

Other than that, all went well.

I'm not sure it'll be as dark as some of the pic's in this thread. As I was pouring from the kettle into the bucket, the beer looked more pale. Hard to tell for sure though.

I also made the decision to just dump everything, cold break and all, into the bucket. Not sure if that was a good plan or not. I've done that before with my extract batches, but the cold break on this all-grain was incredible, and now I'm hoping that it compacts down decently so I'm not cursing it when the time comes to rack to the bottling bucket.

I've got it fermenting in my fermentation cooler bag. The bucket went in the bag at 71F, dropped to 61F overnight, and as of this morning, with the vigorous fermentation, it was sitting at 64.

Plan to try to keep it around 64-65 through the next 3 or 4 days, assuming the bulk of fermentation will be done by then, then probably try to let it rise to high 60's until it measures as being done.

Then into the bottles to condition!

I'm looking forward to tasting this in a month or so. :)

Brewed this on 4/23. Life got crazy, bottled on 5/28. Life got crazy again, cracked my first bottle today. Really crisp, slight bitterness gives way to a nice citrus/tropical finish. I've had a few bad batches recently so this is a welcome success. Bottled it in bombers, so..... yeah.🍻

Took a first gravity reading today, beer is in it's 8th day.

Via the hydrometer, I'm at 1.011. Via a corrected refractometer reading (just bought one for this brew, so seeing if it's trustworthy), it's at 1.012 (via Brewers Friend calculator which is the closest of the few I've tried).

Likely done, but I'll be leaving it til later in the week or this weekend in any case to confirm.

I am a bit surprised at the color. Doesn't look Pale Ale-ish... it's very light in color. Also very cloudy, which I don't really care about. But yeah, definitely very light in color.

The flavour (of the hydro sample) was fine (I think... still not good at judging warm, flat, beer).

But if this turns out ok and I do it again, I'll look at using darker crystal.

Not sure if it's because of the scaling down of batch size, in Beersmith. Going down to 3.5 gallons, Beersmith had me using only 4 oz of crystal 10L, and maybe that simply wasn't enough.

unnamed.jpg

Not sure if it's because of the scaling down of batch size, in Beersmith. Going down to 3.5 gallons, Beersmith had me using only 4 oz of crystal 10L, and maybe that simply wasn't enough.

Did you mean to post to the apfelwein thread? :mug:

Something was definitely off. Even a 1.040 100% Pilsner malt beer would be darker than that.

Did you mean to post to the apfelwein thread? :mug:

Something was definitely off. Even a 1.040 100% Pilsner malt beer would be darker than that.

lol

No, I definitely made (tried to make) Haus Pale Ale. :tank:

I hit all the predicted gravity numbers... 1.052 OG, and if the FG stands, it'll be 1.011.

So I made something.... just not quite sure what. Hahaha

Any ideas on what would cause this, given that the gravity numbers seem right on the mark?

@ Mothman

Mine also came out with that colour. I have checked the recipe several times and also can't pinpoint the reason.

3.50 kg BEST Pale Ale (BESTMALZ) (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 76.9 %
0.85 kg BEST Vienna (BESTMALZ) (4.6 SRM) Grain 4 18.7 %
0.20 kg BEST Caramel Hell (BESTMALZ) (15.2 SRM) Grain 5 4.4 %

My percentages ended up a bit different...
77.9% Pale malt
19.3% Vienna
3.5% Crystal 10L

Changing to my BIAB profile while scaling the recipe in Beersmith results in the proportions changing for some reason.

In any case, I wouldn't think a single % point up or down would make that big a difference. But I don't know, this was my first all-grain attempt.

Don't know if a mash error can mess with the color like this? I'd almost question whether the crystal grain I got wasn't crushed and I didn't realize it?

My percentages ended up a bit different...
77.9% Pale malt
19.3% Vienna
3.5% Crystal 10L

Changing to my BIAB profile while scaling the recipe in Beersmith results in the proportions changing for some reason.

In any case, I wouldn't think a single % point up or down would make that big a difference. But I don't know, this was my first all-grain attempt.

Don't know if a mash error can mess with the color like this? I'd almost question whether the crystal grain I got wasn't crushed and I didn't realize it?

The beersmith issue is likely because either the batch size or the efficiency is different in your profile vs. the OP. Had the same problem when I first started using it. Anymore I just build these recipes from scratch in BS, less chance for error IME, YMMV.

Was your OG/FG the same as OP?

The beersmith issue is likely because either the batch size or the efficiency is different in your profile vs. the OP. Had the same problem when I first started using it. Anymore I just build these recipes from scratch in BS, less chance for error IME, YMMV.

Yeah, I scaled the batch to 3.5 gallons, and my efficiency is set at 70%

Was your OG/FG the same as OP?

Yes, my OG was 1.052, and my first FG reading yesterday was 1.011.

No clue. Sure it was Crystal 10? Maybe you're right and it wasn't crushed. I would imagine just Vienna and 2-row would be about that color. It almost seems watery looking, though that could just be because it's flat.

Edit: To be clear about my overall thoughts though, carb it, drink it, and enjoy.

And I am leaning toward a grain error.

My grain was mislabelled... What was supposedly 2 row was labelled pale chocolate. I checked with the supplier and they said all was fine, just a labelling error. Obviously pale chocolate looks very different and it LOOKED like it was 2 row, but the error makes me doubt a bit in terms of the order accuracy.

And thinking back I do recall one of the grains looking more intact and not dusty like the others. Quite possibly they mistakenly sent whole Crystal malt.

Chalk it up to experience. Maybe I discovered a delicious new recipe. Lol

Back