American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How has people's success been using Citra for flavor and aroma? I've never had Citra before. Very curious about trying it in this beer. I love the original and am afraid to mess with such a good thing but want to get away from cascade only.

I used Cascade to bitter and Citra and Cascade in flavor and aroma, it was my first AG batch too. Samples tasted pretty much like the Citra smelled, a little grapefruit bitterness, orange and lots of citrus, floral, pretty much what you'd expect from a Citra/Cascade combo, I have high hopes for it as a real drinkeable summer APA. I hope it carbs correctly either way I'll def be using the combo again.

I've made this recipe about 6 times now and in this last iteration, I decided to do some more drastic changes.

For 11 gallons, I went with:
14 lb 2row
4 lb Vienna
2 lb Munich
1 lb C10
1 oz Centennial 60 min
1 oz Centennial 15 min
1 oz Centennial 5 min
2 oz Cascade 0 min

S04 slurry from prior batch. OG was 1.054, FG was 1.010. Beer is fantastic. Malty with balanced bitterness. Very hoppy on the nose and taste but without the expected bitterness.

I'm loving the idea of this beer for my first beer but myself and the people who will be consuming this beer are total hopheads. Would doubling all hop additions be too much or should I just add something like 50% more near the end of the boil?

I'm loving the idea of this beer for my first beer but myself and the people who will be consuming this beer are total hopheads. Would doubling all hop additions be too much or should I just add something like 50% more near the end of the boil?

I think if you want to make this beer make it as is. If you guys are hop heads and want a hoppy beer shoot for an IPA.

It's a fairly hoppy beer as it is. It's not extreme by any means. But they definitely stand out. I'd try this first and tweak it from there. It's better to make a good beer your first time instead of coming out of the gates and hating it. I made a real piece of **** beer for my first one. It was so demoralizing haha.

Brewed as my first all grain batch today. Went very smoothly, though I got more boiloff with my new kettle than expected

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401161048.414097.jpg
Had a few of these with some awesome BBQ chicken for dinner with some friends. And a bomber of my latest pale ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I brewed the extract version this past Monday (Memorial Day). I am leaving town next week on Wednesday and worried about 2 things.

1. If its not ready - if my gravity readings aren't the same on tuesday/wednesday then the beer has to sit for a total of 21 days. Is that ok in the primary? or should I at least move it to my secondary?
  2. How to handle dry hopping - I was planning on dry hopping the last 3 days with 2oz of Cascade. Without knowing if the beer will be done in 9 days or 21 days makes me concerned with the duration of the dry hopping. Is it ok to put them in on day 6 and remove them on day 9 (hop bags) regardless if I bottle then or it sits till day 21?

Any advice would help as this is my first solo brew :)

Brewing up a batch of this on Sunday. I need a nice pale ale on tap, this will fit the bill perfectly!

I'm brewing a 3 gallon batch of this for my first AG attempt this weekend. For any Beersmith 2 users- does EdWort's 75% efficiency refer to total brewhouse efficiency? I tried to set up a 5.5 gallon batch equipment profile to use for scaling down the recipe to 3 gallons. When I set up the recipe with the 5.5 gallon profile, the estimated OG and FG match up to EdWort's numbers, but the color (4.6) and IBUs (37.1) are lower than he indicated. Thanks.

You may want to check the AA% of your hops, and maybe he actually used domestic or otherwise different grains that you have selected. I had to adjust the recipe to my hops, as I do everytime.

Made this for the first all grain. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402031832.380711.jpg

Washed the yeast for the porter recipe. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402031953.986006.jpg

Be sure to use a blow off tube. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402032029.804391.jpg

Made bread from the spent grains. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402032071.053940.jpg

Thanks Ed !!

Unfortunately my LHBS only has dark crystal malt in stock. Can I sub that for the 10L, and just use a very small amount, or would I be better off using more Vienna, or even Munich instead? I hate changing the recipe, especially the first time around, but hopefully there's something I can do. Any advice from more experienced brewers?

I don't think the crystal will make a huge difference, but you could cut it back some if you are worried. It has a pretty prominent Vienna flavor to begin with. I don't think I would add any more.

In my first two batches this being one of them I took 6.5 Gal to pre boil and in both the first and second recipes I made I boiled off to much. My 3rd recipe I took 7 Gal to the pre boil and ended up closer to 5.5 post boil. My question is if I take 7 Gal to pre boil vs 6.5 Gal is this going to change any of the final numbers as long as I end up with 5.5 Gal or close to it in the end to ferment with.

In my first two batches this being one of them I took 6.5 Gal to pre boil and in both the first and second recipes I made I boiled off to much. My 3rd recipe I took 7 Gal to the pre boil and ended up closer to 5.5 post boil. My question is if I take 7 Gal to pre boil vs 6.5 Gal is this going to change any of the final numbers as long as I end up with 5.5 Gal or close to it in the end to ferment with.

Depends on your efficiency. What were you getting for an OG on those batches? If nothing changes in your methods then adding more water (starting at 5.5 gal) would give you a lower OG.

Depends on your efficiency. What were you getting for an OG on those batches? If nothing changes in your methods then adding more water (starting at 5.5 gal) would give you a lower OG.

Well the first came in at 4.5 Gal,wanted 5.5, and the OG was 4 points high. The second batch came in at 5Gal, wanted 5.5 Gal but the number were spot on. The 3rd where I used 7Gal pre boil came in just under 5.5 Gal, my target, and the OG was one point low.

I don't think the crystal will make a huge difference, but you could cut it back some if you are worried. It has a pretty prominent Vienna flavor to begin with. I don't think I would add any more.

ok, I think I'll either skip it or put hardly in. Just got back from the LHBS, and he said their dark crystal is about 135L... so that's a whole different grain altogether. I'll run it through beersmith to be sure - maybe it'll end up being a teaspoon that I add haha!

Thanks for the replies.

This is a crowd pleaser! My buddies now ask for it by name...lol..."do you have any more of the Haus Ale", going to brew another batch tomorrow!

Unfortunately my LHBS only has dark crystal malt in stock. Can I sub that for the 10L, and just use a very small amount, or would I be better off using more Vienna, or even Munich instead? I hate changing the recipe, especially the first time around, but hopefully there's something I can do. Any advice from more experienced brewers?

I would use carapils instead if they have that.

Brewing this up this weekend... Doing a bit bittering hops to increase the IBUs (personal taste), and a higher lovibond crystal due to my system output and LHBS availability

Brewing this up right now. Using Centennial the last 10 minutes and a 20 minute whirlpool with citra. Should be good.

Has anybody tried adding a little wheat to the grain bill?? I was thinking of throwing some in to give it a little creamier mouthfeel, Thinking maybe
.5 lb addition to the original grain bill.

Tagging another post onto this - I brewed it up, using the extract malt bill (usually go all-grain, but wanted this busted out) and this hopping schedule:
1oz Cascade @60min
0.5oz Chinook@30min
0.5oz Chinook@5min
0.5oz Cascade@5min

I am utterly floored by how freaking delicious this is. Edwort, you've done right by me. It's everliving delicious.

Brewed this last night. Had a few issues:

Mashed a little warm. I mash BIAB style and last night I was experimenting with keeping the mash warm in my oven. Next time I'll just wrap the pot in blankets.

Over sparged a little and when the boil was done my final volume was just a shade under six gallons.

According to my hydrometer my OG was 1.055.

I'm sure the beer will still be good (hopefully) but it's not going to be a true representation of the recipe. Regardless of outcome I will try to remember to post my results (in about 7 weeks).

I brew a modified version of this recipe. I submitted it to a local home-brew fest and received a 37 and 38. Thanks to Edwort for laying the foundation for this very tasty and hoppy Pale Ale. :mug:

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 11.26.36 AM.jpg

I brewed the original recipe and totally screwed up. I mashed so high im surprised it fermented at all! In the end it finished at 1029. Even with that in consideration it's almost drinkable haha!

I can tell it would have been great! So thanks a bunch, the next batch is fermenting now. Can't wait till it's done!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Fairly new brewer here, just brewed this as my third batch. My first two were simple extract brews, but decided to go with a partial mash. In addition to 6lbs of ultralight lme, I mashed 2 lbs of Vienna and 1 lb of crystal 10L. Quick confession on that, I did not realize at the time (I do now) that crystal was unfermentable, and that instead of just a slight bump in original gravity by mashing the entire pound of crystal (online brewstore did not sell incremental amounts) I was essentially doubling the sweetness! But, aside from that mishap it went pretty well. Ended up with an OG of 1.056 which fermented down to 1.012 using US-05. Although only about 1.5 weeks past bottling, it already tastes really good, although perhaps just a touch sweeter than I would prefer...and almost not quite as sessionable with nearly 6% abv. I will post a pic if I can figure out how too (just joined the site).

1405098178198.jpg

Bacgabe, if you're working with grains, get a scale! Totally worth the 20 bucks. You could have also just split the pound of crystal in half and said 'close enough'. But that's the beauty of homebrewing... Roll with it! I'm sure your brew will be great.

Probably the 5th time I've brewed this particular beer. Still awesome. I played with it before; dry hopping and adding crown reserve soaked oak. Was fantastic... but I still gi back to the original for damn good pale ale. Thanks again. If you are thinking of brewing this you are being silly. Tried and true recipe. Friends, family (especially SWMBO) loves it.

1405832313170.jpg

Back