American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped by to give kudos for a great recipe. Was a big hit at my superbowl party.
Thanks
-Imp

Haus Pale.jpg

This was the beer I did my very first 10gal batch of! I had to split the batch cause I only have carboys... so I decided on doing a bit of an experiment with it, I added .5oz of cascade for dry hopping into one of the carboys but not the other. Hopefully I did it right!

just wrapped up my first All Grain brew using the original recipe in the first post. I followed it to a T but it took way longer than expected. I pitched my yeast and put it away for the fermentation process to begin when I realized I forgot to measure the original gravity. I sucked out a sample to test (and made a mess in the process) and it only measured in at 1.040. The falls short of the 1.051 that I was expecting.

What would have caused it to be so much lower? The only issue I had was getting the boil going took longer than expected as I had to use my stove due to a snowstorm outside and not feeling like freezing my ass off. Once the boil got going It went for the full 60 minutes. I started with 6.5 gal of wort and ended with 5.25.

Lots of fun making it, but it's 1:30am on a Sunday and I have to get up in 5 hours to head to work. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Just a guess, but was your boil as vigorous as it normally is? If the only change between your normal brewday is using a stovetop to boil, it sounds like that's where the difference came in. Did you have more volume than you expected?
Should turn out tasty anyway, I wouldn't worry much.

The volume was dead on so I figured it would have been fine. I know on the outdoor burner I can get a much more violent boil, but the temp in the kettle was still in boiling range. I was also thinking maybe the water added to the mash tun was maybe a degree or 2 off. I'll have to test my thermometer to see if it is accurate.

In the meantime the yeast are having a battle in the fermenter. It is moving around like crazy and bubbles are piling on top of the lock.

ok thanks. i've never tried a wet hopped beer before. would it be a good idea to use pellets at 60min for bittering since i'm not sure of the AA%

Fantastic recipe, thanks Ed.

I've used amarillo in place of the cascade, centennial and cascade, dry hopped.. This is probably my 7th or 8th time making it, and I can honestly say I appreciate the original recipe the best.

20150307_155205.jpg

just wrapped up my first All Grain brew using the original recipe in the first post. I followed it to a T but it took way longer than expected. I pitched my yeast and put it away for the fermentation process to begin when I realized I forgot to measure the original gravity. I sucked out a sample to test (and made a mess in the process) and it only measured in at 1.040. The falls short of the 1.051 that I was expecting.

What would have caused it to be so much lower? The only issue I had was getting the boil going took longer than expected as I had to use my stove due to a snowstorm outside and not feeling like freezing my ass off. Once the boil got going It went for the full 60 minutes. I started with 6.5 gal of wort and ended with 5.25.

Lots of fun making it, but it's 1:30am on a Sunday and I have to get up in 5 hours to head to work. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I would assume your efficiency is lower than the OP's, causing the difference in O.G.s assuming you used the same amounts of grains.

Specific gravity after a week is 1.018. With such a low efficiency I'm not sure how it will turn out. I am estimating the ABV will be sub 3%. These numbers are not giving me a positive feel. I'll feed it to a bunch of my wife's friends and see if they comment on it's lack of kick or possibly flavor. It tasted pretty good but then again I can't drink 20 beers to get any effect from it. I'll have to kick off another batch maybe this weekend and see if I can get better numbers.

Specific gravity after a week is 1.018. With such a low efficiency I'm not sure how it will turn out. I am estimating the ABV will be sub 3%. These numbers are not giving me a positive feel. I'll feed it to a bunch of my wife's friends and see if they comment on it's lack of kick or possibly flavor. It tasted pretty good but then again I can't drink 20 beers to get any effect from it. I'll have to kick off another batch maybe this weekend and see if I can get better numbers.

How long after you pitched did you take the OG measurement?

How were you measuring your mash temp? What's your mash equipment?

The following is my setup.

- 10 Gallon Aluminum brew pot (I just ordered a stainless with thermometer and valve)
- A propane cooker, but I didn’t use it for the 60 minute boil because it was too cold so a gas stove.
- 10 Gallon Igloo round cooler with false bottom and stainless valve assembly
- 6.5 Gallon Big mouth Bubbler as Primary
- 5 Gallon Big mouth Bubbler as secondary
- O2 Aeration system with 0.5 micron stone
- All is going into 5 Gallon Corny kegs
I followed the initial recipe to a T. The only thing that popped in my mind is the thermometer I used for measuring. It’s pretty cheap looking and showed a hair over 150 degrees in the mash after I got the grains all souped up. I took a measurement in the middle of the mash and then 10 minutes later to make sure the temperature didn’t drop. I had preheated the cooler beforehand so it held well.

After I transferred my wort to the primary I aerated with O2 and pitched my yeast. Maybe 10 minutes later while cleaning I realized I never took a gravity reading so I pulled a test sample out to measure which was at 1.040. After sitting in the primary for 9 days I took a sample and measured the gravity at 1.018. I transferred to a keg to see how it ends up in a bit, but not feeling to optimistic.
I’ll check my thermometer and see if it is off at all.

I know the mashing temperature is always measured within a degree or 2. It looks like my thermometer may have been off by 6 or 7. I brought water up to around 166 degrees and took a temperature with a digital meat thermometer, a glass floating thermometer (that doesn't float that well) and the thermometer I used the day I made the beer. The glass thermometer and the digital one were within a degree of one another. The silver one was about 6 degrees lower. I then boiled the water and saw once again the temperature was off by 6 or 7 degrees.

Would this explain the difference in starting gravity and final gravity? If I didn't hit the 152 degree temp at the beginning of the mash and then my sparge water was also off by 6 or 7 degrees, I would assume this would cause the low efficiency.

Is it worth drinking the beer or is it going to be like a watered down coors light?

I want to do the extract version but I can't find the munich LME easily/inexpensively...

What can I use instead to mimic the original recipe?

Thanks!!:mug:

I want to do the extract version but I can't find the munich LME easily/inexpensively...

What can I use instead to mimic the original recipe?

Thanks!!:mug:

The Vienna in the all grain version of this recipe goes a long way into making this ale what it is. I would imagine that a Munich malt extract gets pretty close.

I would think the next closest thing would be an Amber extract.

The Vienna in the all grain version of this recipe goes a long way into making this ale what it is. I would imagine that a Munich malt extract gets pretty close.

I would think the next closest thing would be an Amber extract.

Ok. I can get Amber for $2.55/lb but Munich costs more at 3.79/lb but I have to buy 3.3lbs of it, whereas the Amber is split into various sizes.

I'll look into the specifics of Amber LME to see how off it would be.

My first batch of this got infected, so I made another. It tasted fantastic a few weeks ago. I had everything set up and ready to bottle, opened the lid and...pellicle.

This brew might just be cursed.

I know the mashing temperature ....

....Is it worth drinking the beer or is it going to be like a watered down coors light?

Drink it!
I also had an issue with thermometers in the past. My digital thermometer reads 4-5 degrees higher than my steel probe one. This caused my mash to be off once and led to very low gravity to start and when it was all said and done it turned out fine. I just let it age and condition for about a month or more. Even had to update the update on my brew log. At the end of the day, it's beer and beer is good.

Edited to add - both probes are submerged an equal depth into boiling water.

I tried to scale Edwort's Haus Ale recipe to 8 gallons on beersmith. It shows the exact same grain bill. This can't be right. Any help is appreciated.

I brewed mine Sunday and I screwed up my water Calc (too much water ) so my original gravity was a little low. I pitched my yeast that night and come Monday after work, I couldn't see any activity and my carboy was a little chilly at 59 deg in the basement. I put the fermwrap on and connected it to my blackbox temp controller. Had some tech issues and it took the temp up to 72. Thank goodness I used a blow off tube! I have since dropped the temp to 65 but the yeast (us-05) is chewing up the sugars like crazy!

Did my first BIAB with this recipe this past weekend since I've brewed it doing full all grain before. I ended up mashing at 154 but I can't imagine it would make that much of a difference, the Hydro sample certainly tasted as great as it did before. Completely fermented out in three days, I'll let it sit for another 10 days and into the keg it goes. I'm excited.

hello all, I'm still trying to learn my way thru brewing and the processes and using Beersmith to help out with my brew day timings and I'm planning to brew this beer next week-end and I was wondering if anyone could share their Beersmith recipe that I can import so I can try to avoid manual errors when I try inputting my first recipe, LOL...

thanks,

Do you have your equipment profile set up yet?
Importing the file w/ someone else's profile & not adjusting accordingly won't benefit you too much.

ah, ok thanks...I thought I saw someplace that beersmith had an option to scale the recipe...but i'm not really sure what that would mean yet, LOL

and not I do not have my profile set up yet...

here is my system, incase this might help you, help me set up my profile :ban:

8 G pot
rectangular blue coleman cooler as my mashtun

all grain, no BIAB

hmmm, is there anything else that I would need to input?

perhaps it might be easier to just set up my profile and then key in all the ingredients? I'm not sure, as I've not done it before. I just know that at last years Learn 2 Brew event, the guy that was nice enough to help me along had Beersmith on his tablet and the timer was an awesome help.

thanks in advance for any help...this beer I am planning to brew next saturday at another learn to brew event :) will be my 3rd brew, 2nd on my own.....but with a few others from my homebrew club though of course, so that will definitely help me out.

Yes, you can scale a recipe in BeerSmith. But, that is based on using your equipment profile.
BS has an easy to understand online tutorial for setting up your profile & other program features.
I'd urge you to go through that process & then you can add/import a recipe and then scale it to your setup.
If you can get that done & pm me your email I'll send you my version of the recipe in BS format.

Yes, you can scale a recipe in BeerSmith. But, that is based on using your equipment profile.
BS has an easy to understand online tutorial for setting up your profile & other program features.
I'd urge you to go through that process & then you can add/import a recipe and then scale it to your setup.
If you can get that done & pm me your email I'll send you my version of the recipe in BS format.

thank you soo much again.

Edwort i Brewed this and your Kolsch up about 6 weeks ago. Turned out great. Thank you again for sharing your recipes. Two thumbs up. :drunk: :ban:

This will be my first pale ale, I'm 5 minutes from the second hop addition. Mash temp was a little lower than the recipe states at 149 but it will still be beer and more than likely good beer thanks for the recipe

Update:
OG came in at 1.060 guess I didn't really know what my efficiency would be for lower gravity beers since I don't remember the last time I brewed anything under 1.065. Either way can't wait to try it!:rockin:

I brewed this on Saturday....this is my 3rd ever batch. I can't wait to try it out...thanks soo much for your recipes Ed.

I'm thinking my 4th batch might just be your Hefe :)....

Mine is about a month old now and tastes great, only observation is that the bread-like flavor from the vienna malt is much less prevalent than the first time I brewed this. Not sure why but that vienna malt flavor is why I love this beer so much. I did mash it at 154 this time (first BIAB and trying to dial in my equipment), would that have anything to do with it?

Back