BCS Control panel build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasBrewHaus

Reaction score
Hello Brewers!

I have been trolling these forums for some time but just created an account to start posting. Anyways I am in need of some assistance. I am building a control panel for my brew system. My goal here is to create a panel that will control the setup manually or via BCS.

I have started a Visio drawing to diagram my wiring thus far. Here it is, PLEASE NOTE: there will be one BCS-460 however it is split in 2 in the diagram for readability.

I have a few concerns thus far. Do I need SSRs? I know they are used in electric setups due to large loads however I and using gas and only powering chugger pumps and ASCO valves. Another concern I have is regarding the 2 power inputs to each device (pumps and ASCOs). is there a device i need to place before each device so power doesnt travel back to the BCS if I am running manual. Please feel free to criticize my lack of electrical engineering skills. I can share the visio doc if anyone wants to add to it. I would like to document this process well as this is a common Brutus setup that I would like others to be able to replicate. Thanks

20140223_140156.jpg

Control setup.jpg

Here is a current part list I will be purchasing today:

Contacts(Terminal Bus) - $6 x2 Will do two of these to keep it clean

Temp Probes - $55 x3 The third will be for monitoring outflow temp of chiller

BCS Controller - $190

ASCO Valves - $40 I already have one of these however I am unsure yet if they will work with the system

NEMA Box - $23 Hope it is big enough

3 way switches- $5 x4 I am unsure if these will work properly in the setup I desire

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you will still need SSR's. The outputs on the BCS simply control the on/off of the SSR. The BCS itself doesn't put out enough power to drive the devices. When I wired mine up, I did a little write up and posted it at http://cockalebrewery.blogspot.com/2009/10/its-alive.html. Some of it might help. I didn't wire in the manual override though, so I don't have much input to help out with there.

Thanks! I will be following your build for the most part. It seems that it is the easiest and most relevant to what I am doing. I will simply put the 3 way switch prior to the SSRs so that I can override to manual operation.

Latest posts

Back