BBQ/Grilling Pet Peeves: Mislabeled meat cuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a vent thread. Had to put it here as I'm not sure any other subgroup of people actually cares...

Here on the west coast, tri tip when labeled is almost always tri tip. Tri tip is very easy to pick out. It's somewhat of a "boomerang" shaped roast, or looks more like a squashed Star Trek insignia. I.e. it's *roughly* a scalene triangle, but with the long edge usually concave rather than straight. Not only that, it has a VERY distinctive grain pattern, where you see the grain on either side of the "centerline" running in completely different directions. This is also why the process of slicing tri tip is different than most other roasts as you need to account for the grain pattern to slice against the grain. A tri tip roast is almost never >2.5#, and typically in the 1.75-2.25# range.

Back east, apparently stores/butchers are taking top sirloin cap and labeling it tri tip. And it's easy to understand why. It's even more perfectly triangular than a tri tip. It actually looks much more like an equilateral or isosceles triangle than a tri tip does. It's in general a more uniform cut of meat, and typically bigger. 3-4# is a usual size for a top sirloin cap roast.

Pictures of both here: http://kitchenjournals.com/u-s-beef-cuts-guide/sirloin-cuts-2/

Every time I see someone cooking sirloin cap and posting it online like it's tri tip, it annoys me.

Anyone else have any common errors you see in the at the butcher or in the meat dept at your grocer?

I used to eat tri-tip (from Costco) all day everyday about 10 years ago, but for some reason it fell out of favor in our household and I haven't had it in about 2-3 years.

Folks back East (Tennessee and Pennsylvania, to be exact) had never even heard of the cut.

We never get tri tip on east Coast ��
I understand there is so little tri tip per cow that you guys on west coast get all of ours too.

We never get tri tip on east Coast ��
I understand there is so little tri tip per cow that you guys on west coast get all of ours too.

It is true... Total weight of a tri tip per cow (since there are only two) is typically ~4#. Not a big proportion of a 1200-lb animal... So I'll bet we actually get a lot of the tri tips from the rest of the country since demand is so much higher here.

Kinda how chicken wings have actually begun to be more expensive than bone-in chicken breast. Because to feed one person with wings takes 10-12 wing pieces (all the wing pieces from 2-3 chickens), but to feed one person with breast takes 1 chicken breast (1/2 of the breasts on a chicken). Even though many consider it to be an "inferior" meat, it's in higher demand and thus higher price.

Same deal with baby back ribs vs. boneless pork loin. The same pig that yields ribs for 4 has 2 "elephant trunk" loins that will feed about 20. And per pound on sale here, the elephant trunks are darn near half the price of the baby backs.

Back