BB IPA good but very cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cropsofhops

Reaction score
Just completed the Brewers best IPA and followed the instructions while brewing. Since I didn't have a carboy I left the beer in the fermenting bucket for 1 week and then bottled. The result turned out nicely after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. The beer has a nice bitter taste as expected. However the beer is very cloudy and I'm wondering if a secondary would have cleared the beer up. My basement where I ferment the beer is on the warm side so the fermentation process usually only takes 4 to 5 days to complete. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the cloudiness of the final product?

How much of the protein precipitation did you leave in the mash tun after boiling but before transferring to your bucket to ferment? In the future, try to leave as much in the mash tun as you possibly can. This will mean sacrificing a little bit of wort though.

How much of the protein precipitation did you leave in the mash tun after boiling but before transferring to your bucket to ferment? In the future, try to leave as much in the mash tun as you possibly can. This will mean sacrificing a little bit of wort though.

I think you mean boil kettle, not mash tun. Next time, let the beer ferment in the primary for 3 weeks then bottle. That will let the yeast clean up after themselves then flocculate to the bottom of the fermenter.

Extract or all grain? Besides just unflocculated yeast, it could be chill haze or hops haze too. Heavily hopped beers, especially dry-hopped beers, can get hops haze.

Chill haze can come from a bunch of other factors, but not getting a good cold break is the most common I think. How are you cooling your wort before pitching, and how long does it take you?

@thebeerist: I didn't know this could affect clarity. I've always put all of my break material into the fermentor and never had a problem. Since it's already precipitated, it's not likely to resolubilize and affect the finished beer, I would think. How does this work?

I just hurried an IPA to see what would happen. One week primary, one week secondary. It looks like unfiltered apple juice. Can't see through it at all. I don't mind it hazy but this is crazy. It will probably fall in the bottle after a while but next time I wait the 3 weeks.

Time should make it clear up more. 1 week in primary is really short..secondary would have been nice, but you could have just left it in primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottled. It would have allowed the yeast to clean up a little more after themselves. Its not always just about if fermentation is done, the yeast are still working and clearing things up for you..just have to give it a little time.

If it has a chill haze, you might want to let some bottles sit in the fridge for a week or 2 and see if it clears up. You can consider gelatin before bottling to get more clarity also.

Bottling after 1 week is really scary though, you could be at risk for bottle bombs...I'd get them all chilled just to be safe.

After the boil I usually just poor the hot wort with all the fixings into the fermentation buckets to chill in a huge cooler that I fill with ice. My neighbor just got a cooper wort chiller yesterday so I think I have a new option.

Should I be letting the wort chill down in the kettle? Then, transferring the wort to the bucket as cleanly as possible? I was under the impression that secondary fermentation was the opportunity to leave most of the yeast and other residue in the fermentation bucket?

Yes my Brewer’s best IPA is just like apple cider but it still is very good just not very nice to look at.

I let my ales sit in primary 3-5 days after a stable FG is reached to clean up & settle out more. After 3-5 weeks in the bottles,I give them 2 weeks in the fridge if I can. I can pour out nearly all the beer. And it's very clear at the point they go into the fridge to start with.
I've also noticed that putting the hot kettle of wort into an ice bath (at least) will get a decent cold break (protein flocculation). This makes the beer take at least some 24 hours in the fridge before noticing less chill haze. And it dissapears quicker as well. So it's worth it to take the time to chill the hot wort quickly before adding it to the fermenter & topping off.

I am going to clear out some space in my fridge to crash it in the carboy for 2 days. I am drinking my beer as soon as it carbs. I want it to be clear as it can be before bottling. They do clear up in the bottle after a while. I have found that out with my older beers.

Back