BB Extract Kit - Holiday Ale - Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastAtLeast

Reaction score
So I brewed this Brewers Best extract recipe, which called for an OG of at least 1.068. I only got 1.060 on my hydrometer. I've been brewing BB extract kits for almost a year now, and I'm usually right on the money of the expected OG range, but for whatever reason this was a flop. When it comes to low OG issues I usually read about all grain batches, so how could I have screwed up an extract batch such as this?

I had OG/FG reading issues with one of those kits. Looking back, I topped up to 5 gallons and didn't stir adequately. As a result I didn't get a good OG reading. According to the numbers it should have been an abv of 2.5%, but when I drank it that clearly wasn't the case. Wait and see how your final drink turns out.

So I brewed this Brewers Best extract recipe, which called for an OG of at least 1.068. I only got 1.060 on my hydrometer. I've been brewing BB extract kits for almost a year now, and I'm usually right on the money of the expected OG range, but for whatever reason this was a flop. When it comes to low OG issues I usually read about all grain batches, so how could I have screwed up an extract batch such as this?

As long as you hit your volumns w/an Extract Kit you should have the predicted OG. Most likely you just didn't get a good mix if you used "top off" water. Relax and have a cold one. :mug:

Agree what said previously, extract kits should be right on all the time. Temperature of your reading does matter. Also have you calibrated your hydrometer? There are some calculators online where you can enter your OG, the temp you took it at and it will adjust for you. For every 10 degrees above 60 F you need to correct by adding .001 to your number.

So with the temperature at 70*F when I took the sample, that would increase my reading by 0.001, giving me 1.061, which is still far off the low end range of 1.068. I didn't need to top off, I had plenty to reach the 5 gallon mark in my fermentor. I did however leave some of the heavier sludge behind. Should I have poured that in? I usually don't.

Relax and have a cold one. :mug:
^^ so true!
Brewer's Best says this kit should hit an ABV 5.6 - 6.0%, which you can easily get by small swings in OG, FG, or even your yeast's attenuation. The most important thing is, does the beer taste good? Unless you're entering it into competition where you have to hit certain style criteria, OG shouldn't matter. As Charlie Papazian is often quoted: "Relax, don't worry, have a home brew!" I'll bet it turns out great! Happy Holidays!

Back