Bazooka screen as false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophanatik86

Reaction score
I'm build a mlt in a square iggloo cooler do these boil screens or bazooka screens work will in place of a false bottom or manifold? Who has experience with these? I'm am doing 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon cooler.

Plan on building mine with one as well.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Used one in my coleman cooler conversion and it worked alright. Had to do a pretty hefty vorlauf (sp?) and still ended up with some grain in the boil. Next time around I'll probably screen the run-off before it goes into the boil kettle.

I use one. To save myself the hassle
of cleaning out the Tun I bought one of the brew in a bags and line my cooler with that. No vorlauf needed and when you're done just lift the grains out and dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My very first MT was set up with a bazooka screen, worked good, upgraded tp get better efficiency

If you're batch sparging the bazooka screen works great. You might have to vorlauf a bit more depending on the depth of the grain bed. Typically greater than 4 inches deep is ideal.

If you're batch sparging the bazooka screen works great. You might have to vorlauf a bit more depending on the depth of the grain bed. Typically greater than 4 inches deep is ideal.

+1

I use the bazooka screen in a 12 gallon rectangle cooler for batch sparging. Works perfectly.

Bazooka screen worked great for me for a long time, in both a square and round igloo cooler. But, eventually, I went to 10g batches and a big mash paddle and the bazooka started getting bent. I built a MT out of a sanke keg and fitted it with a Jaybird false bottom: final solution - bullet-proof.

I use a bazooka in my 5gal MT. Had to shorten it to fit as it was way too long. Used tin snips and then rolled the end closed. Works great.

Donnie

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Empty
Primary #1: Tailgater Pale Ale
Primary #2: Leiny's Big Butt Clone (as an ale)

I use a bazooka screen as well. Had to vorlauf a lot so I made a sock for it out of a paint strainer bag. Now it works perfectly.

I use a bazooka screen when mashing in a 5gal stainless kettle without any problems. A good vorlauf is part of my routine. I've made several great beers with this method. Adding a grain bag does help cleanup but has clogged my outflow more than once...

Back