Bav Dunk, diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optimatored

Reaction score
Hey all, I finally brewed my first all grain after months of waiting. I missed my est gravity by only 0.001 (1.051 v 1.052 :ban:) and has been fermenting for about 8 days. I checked the gravity today and its down 1.012 (75.6 attenuation, fitting the profile of the yeast).

Options/Questions: Given I am not getting any off flavors when I tasted the beer at the gravity reading should I/would you:

Do a diacetyl rest, Rack to secondary, and cold crash? Or at this point, rack and cold crash? Although I assume some might say just cold crash and forget the secondary. I do plan on lagering this puppy for about 6weeks.

Thanks all.

Just start right in on the lagering. I don't see any need for doing D-rests on maltier beers. The only time I really do them is with very light lagers like pilsners.

I do a diacetyl rest on all my lagers for about 3 days at room temp, then rack, then crank down to about 30 for however long, depending upon style/strength.

I do a diacetyl rest on all my lagers for about 3 days at room temp, then rack, then crank down to about 30 for however long, depending upon style/strength.

Me too- I don't see any reason to NOT do a diacetyl rest. After the diacetyl rest, I rack and begin the lagering. I lager at 34 degrees, about one week for each 8-10 points of OG. So, for an OG of 1.060, I'd lager for 6-8 weeks.

I wouldn't lager on the yeast cake- to me it's important to get the lager off of the yeast cake as soon as the diacetyl rest is done.

Me too- I don't see any reason to NOT do a diacetyl rest. After the diacetyl rest, I rack and begin the lagering. I lager at 34 degrees, about one week for each 8-10 points of OG. So, for an OG of 1.060, I'd lager for 6-8 weeks.

I wouldn't lager on the yeast cake- to me it's important to get the lager off of the yeast cake as soon as the diacetyl rest is done.

I keg my beer. So would you go straight to your keg or a secondary carboy?

Back