Batch tastes yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
I followed yoopers recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/hard-lemonade-68144/

Many people have told me I shouldn't put lemonade into secondary, but it's a little late for that (I was following the recipe's procedure). I put it in secondary once the SG hit about 1.030. It is about 1.010 now after about 1.5 weeks in secondary and it still has a yeasty taste to it. I have been told this means that there is still a good amount of yeast in suspension, but I am not sure what the best way to handle this is. Should I just start bottling and hope the back sweetening covers the yeasty taste up? Or should I leave it in secondary for more time? Or are there other steps I can take to alleviate this problem?

OG =1.100 (much higher than I would have liked :( )
Current SG = 1.010
Lemonade still seems pretty bubbly/carbonated when taking readings, so I usually have to wait til the bubbles die down to get an accurate reading.
TLDR:
Lemonade has yeasty taste after 1.5 weeks in secondary. What should I do?

I would let it sit and settle out. What does it look like? Is it still super cloudy? 1 1/2 weeks seems pretty quick to get anything in the bottle. Give it some more time to drop some yeast.

I would let it sit and settle out. What does it look like? Is it still super cloudy? 1 1/2 weeks seems pretty quick to get anything in the bottle. Give it some more time to drop some yeast.
I can't really tell how clear it is. It doesn't appear to be super cloudy and a good amount of yeast has settled on the bottom (which makes I think I may have transferred too early). If it is at a 1.010 now, what do you think a reasonable time to expect it to be done with the air locked secondary and ready for bottling?

thanks for your help :)

First of all you need to make sure your hydrometer readings are not changing to really be sure the fermentation is complete. Check it again after a week or so to see if it has dropped or not. I've made hard lemonades before and usually do not us any clearing agents. I suppose you can bottle it whenever its done fermenting. I like to give mine at least a month or two to settle out the heavy stuff. My thought is its already in my carboy, why not let it sit a little longer and clear up before I bottle.

HoboBrewing said:
I can't really tell how clear it is. It doesn't appear to be super cloudy and a good amount of yeast has settled on the bottom (which makes I think I may have transferred too early). If it is at a 1.010 now, what do you think a reasonable time to expect it to be done with the air locked secondary and ready for bottling?

thanks for your help :)

If it tastes yeasty, it's still fermenting.

Let it finish and yeasty taste will go away.

If it tastes yeasty, it's still fermenting.

Let it finish and yeasty taste will go away.

Thanks. It is in secondary so I assume it will take quite some time to finish fermenting. I guess I will wait about 3 weeks and check it again. At what OG will it be completely finished fermenting? Thanks. (sorry I realize they may be stupid questions :( )

its not clear yet, you are drinking yeast cells so therefor it will taste like yeast.

Back